24. Missing

Chapter 24: Missing

Allen

By the time my work was done for the day and I was ready to go home, Mika still hadn't come back. I had a feeling he'd be waiting for me at home, so I wasn't worried. Besides, I think Sam enjoyed having the attention of all the ladies in the office once Melissa realized he was still here.

Packing up my stuff then grabbing Mika's backpack that he'd left, I walked out of my office in search of my son. I didn't have to go very far before I heard his little giggle coming from behind Melissa's desk.

She was typing away at the computer in front of her when I walked up. When I stopped in front of her desk, she looked at me.

"Heading home, Allen?" she asked, not unlike most days.

I gestured behind her. "I just need to gather my son first, then yes."

She looked at me with an innocent smile. "Oh? No, I think he's quite fine."

"Melissa..."

She sighed. "It's been so long since I've had a little one around, Allen. I can drop him off at your place on my way home."

I shook my head. "You had him all afternoon. He needs to go home." More like I needed to get home to check on Mika and I didn't need to worry about Sam too, although I wasn't about to tell her that. As far as she knew, Mika had something to do and left Sam with me because my parents had gone somewhere. That's all she needed to know.

Okay, maybe I was a bit more worried than I should be. Mika left my office four hours ago. And I hadn't heard from him once since then. What was even more worrisome was the fact that it started snowing about two hours ago, and it was getting quite dark out. I just really hope he had made it home safely.

Eventually, I got Melissa to give me back my son. Then, once I put his toy in Mika's bag and got him to wear his coat again, I finally left. Only to begin the tortuously slow drive home in the heavy snow storm and the almost stop-dead traffic as the result of it.

When I made it home, I practically ran inside, only to be met with an empty house. I didn't know where anyone was, at least until a text came through on my phone. I hurried glanced at it before sighing in defeat. Frankly, I didn't care that my parents were going to spend the night at a hotel because they decided to look at homes and didn't want to travel back here in this weather. I just needed to know if Mika was alright.

So I went to call him, after, of course, I put Sam in his crib for a nap. He decided just before I dialed the phone to start complaining, and I knew, after all the excitement of today, he was exhausted.

The phone only rang twice in my ear before I heard his phone ringing. Inside his backpack. Why, of all days, did he have to do this? I just wanted to know if he was safe, and now I had absolutely no way to know where he is and no way to contact him.

As the hours ticked by, I started to get the feeling that something was actually wrong. I wanted so badly to go out looking for him, but I knew that trying to drive in this storm, which has only gotten worse since I got home, would be way too dangerous. And it's not like I knew where to look. He could literally be anywhere in the entire city.

It's all my fault, too. I sprung that question on him. I questioned him when he wasn't prepared to talk about it. I should have known. I should have - I don't even know what I should have done. Maybe just not ask. At least not when I did.

But then he'd never know what I was actually talking about. He'd continue believing that I was ready to just rush into a marriage with him. Yes, I loved him and yes I wanted to marry him, just not now. Definitely not now. When we were both ready, I'd ask, but not until then.