Blogging the Psalms -- Psalm 119

Psalm 119

I love this Psalm so much I can’t really discuss it. But let me try. This is a psalm every believer should memorize. It begins with three verses that are declarations about walking in the spiritual way; these declarations are spoken about the believer’s relationship with God. But these verses are simply introductions. The rest of the psalm is nothing more or less than heartfelt prayer to God.

As one continues through the prayer, certain words are repeated. This is an acrostic poem and there is a logical order to the repetition. The repeated words include testimonies, law, statutes, way, commandments, judgments, words, precepts. They refer to God’s holy law and Scriptures. The sureness of God’s testimonies hint at permanence. The Psalmist tells us that God’s law is sure, God’s laws and truth is ever-present. 

Faith has its laws and its constancy just as gravity has its laws and its constancy. God’s word is above all things. Faith works by laws, just as gravity and electricity works by laws. We understand the laws of electricity and the laws of gravity to control them but we don’t understand the laws of God’s kingdom and their power. Electricity doesn’t flow through wood. Gravity can be overcome by thrust. God knows the ins and outs and rules of His laws. 

Those are the only ways to conquer the waves. We may like the idea of rubber transmitting electricity but that is not the way the world works. God’s words and spiritual laws are a covenant with his people. Just as His electricity and gravity has its covenant with us. The deepest heart of the one praying Psalm 119 is that he understands the laws of the spiritual realm and learn to apply and love them.

Nevertheless, the psalm is intimate and heartfelt. The writer uses “thou,” “thee,” and “thy” when referring to God. These words are not used anymore in English, having been swallowed up by the word “You” which was the word formerly used to address someone very important, but distance. The intimate form of the word “you” can only be used with those whom we have deeply-loving, deeply-intimate relationships; this reinforces the intimacy personal relationship between God and the speaker. 

As in all conversations between two beings in covenant with each other, this conversation shows the promises and relationship requirements between the two parties. One of my favorite refrains is, “As you promised, Lord.”  

There was a time I could read this psalm without feeling connected to it. But now when I read it, I feel as if I’m pouring my heart out to God. As one reads through this, the longest psalm of the Bible, one wonders if one is saying each verse truthfully. One is challenged by each verse: Am I saying this particular verse with all my being? 

ALEPH.

1Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.

2Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.

3They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.

4Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.

5O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!

6Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.

7I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.

8I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

ב

BETH.

9Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

10With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.

11Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.