Blogging the Psalms -- Psalm 113

Psalm 113

The psalm declares that from the rising of the sun to the going down of it, Israel’s God is being praised. This is profoundly true. There is no time-zone where Yahweh isn’t being praised right now. Above the earth, there are angels praising God in the heavens. In every area, there is at least some one saying, “I love you so much, Jesus!” and “Thank you so much, God.” 

The psalm also says that God humbles himself. Think of this. What a God, Yahweh is! Some gods are very proud. Not ours. If, for instance, one considers the many gods of mythology, the gods of the world are always demanding that their worshipers bow down to them. Jesus sacrifices himself and all He asks of His believers is their love, and He demands this for his believer’s sake — that they might receive more of His life within their spirit. The gods of the nations are more concerned with their own pride. 

Yahweh humbly looks at human life. He enjoys our joys, weeps with those who weep, cries with those who cry. Around the world, folks are praising gods who make harsh demands, gods they MUST praise, gods they fear but don’t love, gods who are above love. Or, those foreign gods identify with the rich and the powerful. But Jews and Christians praise a God who identifies with the weak, the outcast, the troubled, the nutcase. Oh, that we could understand His love even more.

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.

2Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.

3From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the LORD’s name is to be praised.

4The LORD is high above all nations, and his glory above the heavens.

5Who is like unto the LORD our God, who dwelleth on high,

6Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth!

7He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth the needy out of the dunghill;

8That he may set him with princes, even with the princes of his people.

9He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the LORD.