Blogging the Psalms -- Psalm 111

Psalm 111

In Psalm 111, the psalmist declares that those who love the Lord “seek out His works because they have pleasure in them.”

Those who love God have unique pleasures. For instance, we really do love worshiping God. We love talking together about God. We love reading the Bible. We love hearing about all the great things He has done or is doing in the lives of His people. So many folks don’t seek out God’s works. 

Seeking His work is work. One of the seven deadly sins — sins that bring death—  is called sloth. Many people think of sloth as physical laziness, but it is more. There is also spiritual sloth. Those who are spiritually slothful expect all spiritual truths to drop into their lap. They don’t search for the truth of the gospel. They lazily trust what atheists, pastors, commentaries declare. 

But those who love God —whether they have a so-called scientific mind or not— have pleasure in God’s goodness, creativity, holiness, and kindness. And they search for events that testify that God works.

The Bible rewards seekers. God rewards seekers. Yahweh is merciful and compassionate. He is near to all who call on Him, whether they are aware of that or not. He knows the way we walk. He knows our heart. He upholds us. He gives us little nudges and winks throughout the day to show us he’s with me. He always forgives us, although we are prone to sinning. Therefore when Christians see people mocking the Bible or mocking God, they are hurt that the name of someone they love — the name of the one who has given us His Holy Spirit, health, the stars, this wonderful Creation, forgiveness, love, joy, guidance, salvation, and peace should be insulted. Christians love this wonderful Being, the Creator. When we love someone we don’t want to hear His name dragged in the dust or mocked.

The law says “silence gives assent.” This is true for spiritual laws as well as human law. If one allows a comment or declaration to go unchallenged, then one assents to it. If we allow anyone on earth to insult our great Lord who has done so much for us and who continues to do great things for us, what are we assenting to?

1Praise ye the LORD. I will praise the LORD with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation.

2The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.

3His work is honourable and glorious: and his righteousness endureth for ever.

4He hath made his wonderful works to be remembered: the LORD is gracious and full of compassion.

5He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.

6He hath shewed his people the power of his works, that he may give them the heritage of the heathen.

7The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.

8They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

9He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.