Denial's Not Just a Feeling

Glancing wearily around, she started to wonder if he would actually show up. The sun was awaking slowly, but at a quick enough pace to put her nerves on over drive. The moon was disappearing simultaneously to the dispensing stars going one by one.

She checked her watch cringing. Five to five meant everything they could have done failed. Everything now relied on him to arrive on time, but now, her faith in him was fading by the minute.

It wasn't fair. He promised! He hit her in the back with a frisbee at break, written a note on the underside. "Meet me at 4:30a.m. tomorrow morning. I promise, baby, everything will be fixed by the time we return." And she believed him!

Her black backpack was secure over both shoulders filled with clothes, her blue iPod shuffle, iPod shuffle charger, a large water bottle, flash light, journal, pencil case filled with pens, erasers and pencils and extra things she thought may come in handy. Having all her savings packed under everything, she relied on him to come with transportation and all of his money.

Checking her watch once more, she felt like crying. Almost a quarter after five, the sun was starting to wake faster and faster.

She pursed her lips together, starting to think of how huge a mistake she was making.

"Claudia!"

She turned at the masculine, panicked voice calling her. She turned to see a silhouette sprinting towards her from the distance, tripping and losing balance all over the place.

She relaxed her stiff body, feeling the high alert nerves gently calm at the sight of the silhouette coming into clearer view.

Him. Him! He kept his promise, but what took him so long?

"Max?"

He finally stopped in front of her, slouched over hands gripping knees. His voice coming out ragged, loud and heavy. She noticed the grey and white backpack sliding off his shoulders. She felt the rest of her nerves leave her at the sight of his pack.

"Max, thank god I thought--"

"There's no time for that." He rushed his words, strengthening up with panic filling his eyes and voice. "Come with me we have to go."

He reached for her hand, but she stepped away from him, not understanding why they weren't leaving as they planned.

"Claudia, don't do this." He looked over his shoulder nervously, hand still outstretched for hers. He looked back at her. "I'll explain once we get there."

He attempted to grab her hand again, but she pulled away from him. He groaned.

"No, tell me now," she demanded through stern words.

"Claudia."

"Max."

He groaned again, knowing there was no use in arguing against her stubborn persona. "We were found out. Now please." Reaching for her hand . . .

She felt the color drain from her face. She gripped the straps of her backpack. "Found out?" She gasped.

"Claudia, please, come on. Mr. Blobby will be here any minute!"

"What?"

He finally was able to take hold of her hand, prying it off her backpack strap and sprinting down the street with her struggling to keep up.

"How did he find out?"

She sprinted the best she could to keep up with his sprint, but being the non-athlete she was up against the states' track star, she failed, gasping like a fish for air.

"Slow down, Max!"

He finally slowed his pace, turning into an alley way, releasing his grip on her. Nausea hit her ten fold. She dropped her backpack off her shoulders limply. Panting, she was unexpectedly engulfed by strong arms. She leaned against his chest, not feeling the strength kick in her arms to hug him back.

"I'm sorry, Claud, but when I was jumping Mr. Blobby's fence his stupid raccoon noticed me and started after me. Mr. Blobby's came out back with his rifle and saw me. He's probably after us right now, baby, I'm so sorry."

Max buried his face in her hair, tightening his grip on her gently.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry," he mumbled into her hair. "I love you."

She closed her eyes her breathing slowing, but not knowing how to reply.

He pulled away from her, eyes filled with sorrow. "We should get going."

He scrounged down to grab her backpack an through it over his shoulder. Her entwined his fingers with her, leading her out the ally way and to where their detour was.