Numbers

As soon as I was out of the classroom, Joe confronted me."Why did you let him bully you that way? I would have been swearing in his face by the first minute." I shrugged and moved towards the school's entrance. It was time to get home and I was terrified. Joe walked next to me. "I'll walk you home. Where do you live?" He said kindly.

"I live on Park Street, northern Bath. And it's probably best you don't walk me home." I said visualising my uncle seeing me and Joe together.

"You live so far? Why doesn't your uncle give you a lift? And I'm walking you home no matter what." Joe replied stubbornly.

"Please Joe don't walk me home. It's not because I don't like you it's just... Please believe me. As a favour for me, don't insist." I begged him. He hesitated and finally agreed to leave me. I hugged him and we remained that way for a few minutes. "Ahem?" Came a voice. I let go of Joe and turned around.

"Great! Look who spoiled the moment!" I grimaced. Mr Parker stood rather awkwardly looking at the two of us. He was fidgeting nervously with his hands. What had gotten into him? In seemed like an eternity before he spoke. "I have to talk to Joe about his recent test score. Can you spare him a second, Miss King?" Joe looked at me expectantly.

"I was just leaving anyway. By Joe!" I said sadly, wishing not to part from Joe.

"Wait! What's your number?" Joe replied. Oh no. I don't have a mobile phone. And if I say that in front of Mr Parker, I'll never live it down. I smiled sweetly at Joe and winked at him.

"Perhaps later!" And with that I turned heel and left. I need to buy a phone. But with what money? I'll have to steal some from uncle.

I was five minutes into my walk home when I heard a shout. "Jas! It's Matt!" I turned around to see a beautiful boy running towards me.

"Matt! I've missed you!" I laughed. He gave me a giant bear hug.

"Me too" he whispered in my ear. I shivered at his closeness. He parted from our embrace and began to walk with me. "Where do you live?" He asked.

"Park street" I replied.

"I live near there! It's just after my street!" He exclaimed. I faked shock horror and we both burst out laughing. We continued to walk in silence. It wasn't uncomfortable or awkward, it felt peaceful. He struck up a conversation after ten minutes.

"Can I have your number?" He said nervously.

"I don't have a phone." I replied without fully realising what I had just said.

"What? Why?" He said shocked.

"My uncle... He.... Is..." I began.

"Ah! I understand! Money problems? No biggie!" He said thoughtfully. It was kinda of true, yet not fully. We began to talk about TV shows and films and this conversation continued until he reached his house. It was a giant mansion. It was all white and was three stories up. Wow, was all I thought. Just before entering his house he turned around and kissed me lightly on the cheek. I stood still for a few minutes wishing the moment not to pass. But after a while I continued to walk towards the house I'm supposed to call home.

As usual he was there waiting for me. Tim I mean. John was at work. Don't ask me what job he had, because I seriously have no idea. Tim was sitting on the sofa when I came in. He stood up and walked over to me. I backed away, fearful. It was only pain I felt when he pushed me up against the wall. He was ready to hit and hurt me again. And I let him do it. Why? Because the flame I once had inside of me, had been snuffed out like a candle long ago.