Uncertainty

I knocked on the door quietly and waited for a response. "Come in!" Said a gruff voice. I slowly opened the door. The whole class went silent. They all stared at me curiously. I was frightened but hid my emotions. I knew I was good at that, accept around Matt. The teacher looked like he was around fifty years old and he had his grey hair cut very short. "Aha! You must be the new girl. Jasmine isn't it? You can go sit between Joe and Emma" he said pointing at an empty seat. Before sitting down, I quickly handed him the enclosed letter as he smiled kindly to me. "My name is Mr Evans and I'm going to be your form tutor for this year." He then opened the letter and began to read. Ever so slowly his expression changed to a puzzled look and then an angry one. He hurriedly placed it back into the envelope and walked over to my desk. He handed it to me roughly and and sent me a menacing look. I was shocked. What had that letter said to make him so angry? I suddenly had a deep desire to read the letter but I knew I wasn't allowed. Peering around the room, I saw many people looking at me. Mostly boys. I wondered what things people did in registration. Surely it can't be always silent. What a waste! Mr Evans's voice interrupted my thoughts. "If you had not come late to form Miss King, then perhaps you would have known what you're supposed to be doing" he said harshly. I flinched at his anger. "Sorry Sir" I whispered quietly. He signaled at the board where there was a riddle written upon it. "Solve this " he said, " if you can even read". He added the last comment under his breath but I caught it. I decided I was going to prove him wrong. I stared at the board. The riddle read, Give me food and I live; give me water and I die. I knew the answer immediately. It was so easy. I shifted in my seat and waited for registration to end. I glanced at the two people I sat next to. Emma was small with bright ginger hair. She was incredibly pretty. I also sat next to guy called Joe. He was tall and well built. His hair was pure black. It mopped around his head and his eyes were a deep brown. His skin had a faint tan and I guessed he must have a foreign background. He was almost as handsome as Matt. Almost. I stopped staring when Mr Evans began to question the class. "Has anyone guessed the answer?" Immediately half of the class's hands shot up. But I wasn't included. I wanted to be ignored, separated and not noticed. "Is the answer a lizard?" one girl answered. "Nope" said Mr Evans.

"Is it a panther?"

"Is it a tiger?"

"Its definitely a lynx."

"Is it the wicked witch of the west?"

Mr Evans groaned at the hopeless answers. He turned down every answer and I almost gasped at how stupid some people were in the class. "What about you, Miss King?" Mr Evans said directing his gaze at me. I shrank into my seat as everybody's head turned in my direction. I knew the answer but I didn't want to say it. "Ah! I'm guessing you can't read... Shall I read it out for you?" he taunted. Anger boiled inside of me and I decided to prove to him that I wasn't thick as he implied. "The answer to that question you just asked is no. And to the one written upon the board..." I shrugged. Pulling a smirk, Mr Evans rose an eyebrow.

"Come on give a guess!" Mr Evans laughed, " or are you scared you'll get it wrong?" I pretended to be nervous but then said, " Mr Evans the answer is written all over your face. First there's the flaring nostrils, then the tomato cheeks and finally the fuming ears. In future you shouldn't be so obvious." I heard a few giggles and chuckles and I beamed at the shocked face of Mr Evans. Oh he so deserved that. Judging me and being so mean to me. "Head of Year's office now!" he bellowed. I smiled sweetly and picked up my bag. As I made my way to the door, I paused and took a deep breath. "Fire" I whispered.

"What was that Miss King?" Mr Evans challenged. I smirked.

"The answers fire." With those words I turned around and walked away, catching a glimpse of Mr Evans's surprised face showing a pleasurable sense of defeat.