Chapter 18

The art of love is largely the art of persistence.

***

 I tried to paint you a picture, the colors were all wrong

Black and white didn't fit you and all along,

You were shaded with patience, your strokes of everything

That I need just to make it, and I believe that...

Time can tear you apart

But it won't break anything that you are, you are

We won't say our goodbyes you know it's better that way

We won't break, we won't die

It's just a moment of change

All we are, all we are, is everything that's right

All we need, all we need, a lover's alibi

Chapter 18

--Elspeth--

By the time that the reception was ending, several of my relatives were flat out drunk and were yelling outrageous obscenities while others were admitting their deepest, darkest secrets and feelings. It was interesting to say the least. And I was just happy that my parents weren't included in that quantum.

Although the adults were acting like fools, Clay and I were battling each other in a balancing-off er, whatever you call it. We both had spoon on our nose and were balancing them as if our lives depended on it. If one of us were to choke and the spoon to fall off of our nose then we would have to watch the other eat the nice piece of cheesecake that was sitting on the table next to us.

My hands were stretched out to my side as I looked up at the ceiling with the up-most concentration. Our little competition was going on for so long that I started to feel a bit of pain in my neck. To get rid of that "pain" I started singing to myself.

The sun goes down

The stars come out

And all that counts

Is here and now

My universe will never be the same

I'm glad you came

"Are you singing?" I heard someone say from my side.

I scoffed, "No, what makes you think that?"

"I can hear you."

"Oh." I sighed, "I thought I was singing in my head, well never no mind, let's get back to the game."

Clay let out a small chuckle, the spoon somehow staying in place on his nose, "Alright Arden."

I like big butts and I can not lie

You other brothers can't deny

That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist

And a round thing in your face

You get sprung

"Arden..." Clay warned, and I lightly laughed began to stop the shenanigans altogether until we were interrupted.

"Son, what is this juvenile crap you are participating in?" I heard from behind our chairs.

Before I could even process who was talking or what they were talking about, the spoon was taken off of my nose and Clay was left with his still strong and steady on his stupid nose. I looked at the offender with a bit of anger but that anger soon died when I realized who these people were.