Protect that Smile

Summary - With her struggles in training, her father's pressure and her lack of acknowledgement from Naruto, Hinata falls into depression with only one person capable of helping her through it. Will Naruto be able to get to there in time and help her?

*Warning, self-harm and suicidal thoughts.

It was mid morning in the village of Konoha and loud grunts and shouts could be heard coming from within the walls of the Hyuga compound. Hinata and Hanabi Hyuga were sparring once again in order to impress their father and the elders within the clan. This had become a regular occurrence in order to determine who the heir to the clan will be. Normally the eldest would automatically become the heir however Hinata had shown hindrance when she first began to fight her sister. She was a shy but kind girl and the idea of fighting and hurting her younger sibling had discouraged her persistence to win. Unfortunately this did not please her father or the elders and the decision was made for a rivalry to be created for the main branch title.

Currently Hinata and Hanabi were demonstrating their taijutsu and were battling it out intensely. Hinata's fighting skills had greatly improved from all the extra and over time training she was doing, especially with her elder cousin Neji who had agreed to help and toughen her up. Normally Neji would be there watching and it gave Hinata moral support but Neji was on a three month long mission in the capital. Yet Hinata was not going to let this stop her, she fought with passion and determination and this caused her to begin to get the upper hand. Her father looked up in interest as he saw his youngest begin to struggle, things were looking up. Hinata also noticed the trouble her sister was having and stopped suddenly when she had managed to throw her sister to the ground harshly. This moment of compassionate hesitation was all Hanabi needed to throw her elder sister off balance and gain the upper hand. Hiashi sighed in annoyance and finished the spar between his girls and ordered them over.

"That was decent Hanabi, you are dismissed." The head Hyuga said as he waved his hand. Hanabi bowed in respect and then left after looking sympathetically at her sister who had her head down in shame. After Hanabi had left, Hiashi glared down at his eldest child.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you Hinata." He demanded.

Hinata slowly raised her head to look at her father in the eye. His glare felt like it was penetrating her very soul.

"Do you know why you have failed yet again Hinata?" He said with disgust.

"I hesitated Father." She said quietly. "But it was only because..."

"I don't want to her excuses. You are supposed to be the heir to this clan and yet you are weak and stupid and unworthy. You continue to mess up and disappoint even after your training with Neji. I am extremely angry and it is blatantly obvious that you have no potential to be a ninja. This issue continues to arise and I honestly don't see the point in continuing to keep you as my daughter. You constantly embarrass me and if it wasn't for the promise I made to your mother to look after you, I would have you marked and thrown out this instant." Hiashi ranted.

Hinata looked up in shock, fear and sadness at the sound of her father announcing his dis-ownership of her. Tears pricked in the corners of her eyes as she tried to hold herself together.

"Get out of my sight, you disgrace of a daughter." He spat as Hinata bowed and then ran away crying to her room.

It had been a week since the incident and Hinata had not come out of her room. Hanabi had been sneaking food into her room but hardly any of it had been eaten. Team Kurenai had been waiting in one of the training grounds for Hinata when Naruto had shown up in a rush.

"You guys have you seen Hinata, I really need to talk to her." He panted.

"No we were waiting for her to come to training, why? What's the problem?" Kiba asked curiously.