thirteen

Really?” Niall exclaims, sarcasm dripping from his words. 

I roll my eyes at him

Niall,” I hiss. “Now’s not the time to be sarcastic.” I say through gritted teeth. 

He smirks.

“There’s always time to be sarcastic.” He retorts back at me. 

“Well not when there’s a fucking ghost standing behind my door at 3 in morning!” I shout in annoyance. 

Niall raises his hands in defence and stands up. 

“So?” He raises his eyebrows. “Are we going to answer the door or not?” 

 I throw my blanket off me and reluctantly stand, rubbing my eyes. 

I slowly make my out my room, with Niall trailing behind me. 

I turn my head to look at him and raise my finger, placing it on my lips.

“Don’t make a sound,” I whisper. 

Niall gulps and nods, walking closer towards me. 

I turn around and reach out for the door knob, squeezing my eyes shut. 

I turn back one last time and Niall gives me a reassuring smile, which I return. 

“Listen, man, if we die just know that I—” I roll my eyes and interrupt Niall.

“We’re not going to die, relax.” I assure him, placing my hand on his shoulder. 

Niall stares at me and nods.

I swallow and twist the knob, my lips parted slightly. I swing the door open and gasp.

Scarlett stands in front of me, her hair damp and her clothes drenched with water. She shivers as her lips tremble slightly. She wraps her arms around herself, shaking from the coldness.

“Oh my god,” I step towards her and take in her appearance and facial expression.

Her eyes are widened and her mouth agape. She holds a terrified expression and her lips are pursed. 

“Are you alright?” 

She opens her mouth slightly to speak but Niall beats her to it. 

“Harry, she’s scared shitless and freezing. What part of her looks alright?” Niall narrows his eyes from behind me. 

I ignore his remark and reach out to grab Scarlett’s wrist. 

“Come in.” I gesture to the inside of my apartment. 

Scarlett’s gaze shifts from me to my apartment as she slowly nods, walking past me and into my apartment. 

Niall’s eyes remain on Scarlett, never leaving her. 

He squints his eyes and leans towards me.

“So that’s Scarlett…” He trails off.

I nod and let out a breath. 

“That’s Scarlett.” 

Niall’s lips form into an ‘o’ shape as he nods and walks in, me following behind him.  

I close the door lightly behind me and look down at Scarlett. 

“What happened out there?” I question, leaning against the door frame, arms crossed over my chest. 

“I’ll tell you everything… But first, could I please have a glass of water?” She asks in a quiet voice. 

“Of course.” I move from my spot but Niall beats me to it as he practically runs to the kitchen, urgent to find a glass and quickly fills it with water.