seven

I arrange the cookies one by one and carefully place them in the plastic container, stacking them up on the cookie shelf. 

I slip my baking apron off and walk out of the kitchen. I grab two cans of coke from the refrigerator, one for Niall and one for me. 

I make my way towards the front table and sit down, sliding the can over to Niall.

He looks up at me and smiles muttering a quiet ‘thank you’ before opening the can. 

I smile in response and nod. 

“What were you going to say before?” Niall asks. 

I furrow my eyebrows, not knowing what he was talking about.

“What?” I ask, still confused.

Niall just rolls his eyes.

“You asked me if I thought Scarlett was a ‘gho’. What the hell is a gho?” Niall asks, raising his eyebrows. 

I’m still confused but my mind quickly puts the pieces together and I laugh. 

By ‘gho’, he means ghost.

Ghost. 

My eyes widen in fear as a chill runs down my spine.

Is that what Scarlett is?

A ghost?

Well… She can’t be alive since she died 3 years ago, so I presume she’s a ghost.

Wait.

Does that mean I talked to a ghost?

My eyes widen more, if that is even possible. Goosebumps form on my skin. 

“Hello? Harry? You alive in there?” Niall teases, waving a hand in my face.

I close my eyes and shake my head quickly, chuckling. 

“Sorry,” I wave it off. “So, do you still want to know what I was going to ask you?” I ask, taking a sip from my coke. 

“Of course. What was it?” Niall answers. 

“I— I think Scarlett is,” I stutter and pause. “A ghost.” 

Niall stares at me and at first I think that he is going to scream or burst out in tears. But he does the total opposite and turns his head and spits his coke out. A loud laugh fills the room and it takes me a second to identify that it is in fact Niall’s laugh. 

I squeeze my eyes shut and rub my temple, groaning. I knew he wouldn’t take this seriously. 

“A ghost?!” Niall exclaims with tears streaming down his face from all his laughing. 

“Niall…” I sigh in annoyance, letting my head fall in my hands.

He quickly gets up and sits himself down, recomposing himself. 

He lets out a few quiet chuckles but eventually shuts up.

Finally.

“Okay, okay! I’m sorry,” Niall apologises as quiet laughs escape his plump lips.

I stare at him disapprovingly. 

He just shrugs and raises his hands,

“I can’t help it!” Niall exclaims and I roll my eyes at his childish behaviour. 

“Okay, we’re talking serious now,” Niall leans in. “You’re sure she’s a ghost?” He questions, raising an eyebrow. 

“Yes, Niall! She’s dead and I talked to her! How else are you supposed to explain that?” I shriek, running a hand through my hair. 

Niall bites his bottom lip slightly and stares at me sympathetically. 

“I’m sorry, Harry,” He apologises. “I don’t know what to do.”

I sigh and frown, unsure of what to do, too. 

“This really creeps me out, man.” Niall tells me. “You’ve got yourself into some serious trouble.” He eyes me, taking a drink from his can. 

I grab the cloth and swat his arm, narrowing my eyes.

“Yeah, no shit, bro.” I answer.

He rubs his arm and gives me a fake glare, which I return with a smile. 

I raise my arm and glance at my watch, checking the time. 

I look back at Niall.

“I’m going to head home.” I say, grabbing my bag and giving Niall a bro hug and fist bump.

He nods.

“Bye, Harry! See you tomorrow.” He waves goodbye and flashes me a smile. I smile back and push the front door open, walking out as I head home.