Chapter 5 - Lost My Sense

I don't care if it hurts
I'll pay my weight in blood
To feel my nerves wake up
So love me now or let me go
Let me feel these highs and lows
Before the doors to my heart close

—Feel Something, Jaymes Young

CHAPTER FIVE

I groaned, rubbing my eyes in sleep, cursing at the pain forming in my temples. My eyes lazily fluttered open and I tried to adjust my focus. I extended my hand, slapping my night stand, searching for my phone. I quickly reached for it once I found it, squinting my eyes at the brightness of the screen.

Holy shit!

I jerked into awareness looking at the time. I was late for work! Very late. A frown marred my forehead when I saw an unread message from Evan. Shit. I opened it slowly, dreadfully, only to frown more.

Where is the press release?

I read the text once again, confused. I opened my email id to check what he was talking about and soon became ready to pull my hair out. The mail was conveniently lying in my fucking outbox! How could I be so irresponsible? I sent the mail again, this time checking twice if it had been sent or not.

I hurried got out of the bed to get ready for work. I had never screwed up so many times in such less time. I needed to get a grip before I drove myself crazy with my stupid mistakes. Lord help me.

+++

My phone rang on my desk and I quickly picked it up, fully expecting it to be Evan. Before I could even utter a word in my defense, a deep voice boomed in the phone. "I want you in my office. Now." he ordered and hung up.

"Wow." I stared at the phone in disbelief. I was aware I made a mistake, but what the hell crawled up his ass and died, for him to be this angry? I hated being bossed around. I knew I was his employee and all, but I still hated it. "Not even a good morning first. What a di—"

"I'm still on the phone, Ms Stone." a stern voice spoke, making me jump in surprise. I had still been holding the phone to my ear, thinking that he had hung up. Apparently I was very wrong.

"—ligent boss. I'll be right there, sir!" I completed, before quickly cutting the call. Fuck!

I knocked on Evan's door twice, then waited patiently outside to be let in. I already had a bad feeling about this.

"Come in." I took slow step, walking in almost hesitantly. "I—uh emailed you the press release this morning, sir. I hope it's written properly." I said awkwardly, trying to avoid his sharp gaze that carefully followed my every move.

"Close the door behind you, Ms Stone." he ordered. "And take a seat."

I bit my lip, then sat down on the chair across him, a desk separating us. "A very good morning to you, Ms Stone, although it's almost noon now. I'd offer you some coffee, but considering what time you came in today, you probably don't need it. Oh, and I hope you're doing well. I was worried since you were unable to send me the work I asked you for, on time."

If Evan's words were directed towards someone else, I would've probably laughed at the sarcasm oozing from them. But unfortunately, they were addressed to me. And they were snappy. He didn't look pleased with me at all.

"Okay, I get your point. I'm really sorry. Really." I mumbled. "But I can explain—"

"I don't know about explanations, but you surely can argue."

I opened my mouth to defend myself, then quickly closed it. This man knew exactly how to shut someone up.

"If you can't handle a simple press release, how will you handle bigger reports, more urgent projects in the future? How are you going to deal with important clients and meet challenging deadlines?"