Chapter 4 - Coy

you're taking up a fraction of my mind,
every time I watch you serpentine”

- Bad Liar, Selena Gomez

CHAPTER FOUR

"Oh, wait up. Could you deliver these files to Mr Carter before you get back to your research? I'm swamped right now." Lucas handed some files to a lady, his words making my ears perk up in interest. I was passing by Lucas' office, which was close to where I worked from, unlike Evan's office which was on another side of the floor.

I quickly stepped back as she reached the door, seeming irritated. I pretended to be engrossed in my phone, almost running into her as she took a few steps forward. "Oh! Pardon me."

"It's alright. People here are always in a rush. Never watch where they're going anyway." she grumbled sarcastically. Dark pencil skirt, plaid blouse, olive cardigan and a huge belt with designer heels and bold accessories. Someone liked to shop.

"I'm really sorry. I wasn't paying attention." I apologized. "Lovely cardigan, by the way."

She raised an eyebrow at me in surprise. "Thank you."

"The color is so rich. Where did you buy it from?"

Her annoyed expression turning into a pleased one. "Right? I got it online. 40% off." she smiled proudly, unconsciously smoothened it.

"Really? That's a steal. Why don't I ever get such deals?" I gushed, excitement bubbling in my voice.

"It takes practice. I'm a huge shopaholic!" she laughed. "Which department are you from? I don't think I've met you before."

"I'm in PR. I just joined recently." I said. "You're in marketing, right? I've seen you around a few times. Are you working on a new plan?" I motioned towards the files she was holding in her hands.

"I'm an analyst actually. These are just some files I need to drop off at Mr Carter's office."

"Is that so? I was just going in that direction. I can take them for you if you want."

"Really? I have so much work to do, but I don't want to throw you into the lion's den! Have you met boss? He is hot, alright, but so intimidating. I can't find my voice in front of him." she chatted away. I was glad to know that I wasn't the only one who thought this way.

"I have, actually. I really don't mind though."

"You're nice. Trust me, that's a rarity around here. Most of my colleagues are so grumpy! Makes my job ten times tougher."

"Tell me about it!" I chuckled, gladly taking the file she held out for me. Easy peasy.

Once she was out of my sight, I quickly opened the files, my patience wearing thin. My face dipped in disappointment as I carefully flipped through the pages. They were just some marketing reports, nothing interesting.

I sighed. It had become certain to me that I wasn't going to get my hands on anything useful this easily. I had to do more. I glanced at the files. Atleast they were my ticket to Evan's office. I felt warm all of a sudden.

Taking a deep breath, I knocked on his door twice. "Come in."

The last time I saw him, he casually took home the bottle of wine I had joked about at the silent auction for 15,000 dollars. Casually. I didn't get a chance to talk to him the rest of the night after our dance, but I didn't miss the smirk he threw my way when he won that bottle. He was so smug... I hated it.