Chapter 2

Chapter 2

           John sits in the car, realizing what he has just done. He starts cursing himself and feeling disappointed about killing the woman. After all, he made a promise to himself not to kill unless there was no other choice. It was just so satisfying, and he could not stop himself.

           It is getting very late, and John needs to get some rest before picking up the body from the morgue in the morning. He gets out of the car and opens the driver-side door to pick the body up. Judy has a small build, and she is thin. John carries her to the back of the funeral home, ‘till he reaches an old fire pit. He then drops the body near the pit. He finds the weather-proof matches in the storage container. After lighting the match, John drops it into the fire pit. Then John grabs the body and throws it into the pit.

           He walks back to the car and drives many miles from the funeral home. John leaves the car at a local pond, just a few hundred yards from the road. He walks back toward the funeral home after cleaning his handprints from the car. Finally, John makes his way back to the funeral home after the long walk. He lies down and falls asleep on the couch.

           The sun rises, but it does not shine brightly through the windows. The stained glass blocks most of the light from entering the room. John opens his eyes and lies there for about a minute, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

           He wonders if he should call his girlfriend but thinks that it might be too early. The wall clock says 6:41 am. His girlfriend should be waking up soon though. Her first class of the day starts at 8 am. Angela majors in Biology. Angela is, also, one of two people who know his secret.

           On Thursday night, John decides to call Angela. She answers on the fifth ring.

           “Hello?” says Angela.

           John says, “Hi Angela! It’s John! I called to make sure that we still have a date tomorrow.”

           “Of course, we do, John.”

           “So what were you doing? Where you busy?”

           “I was studying, but we can talk a while if you want to.I don’t mind, Hun.”

           “The date is at 7 pm. And I, also, wanted to let you know that I broke the promise that I made to myself.”

           “Oh, no! John! I wish you wouldn’t have done that. You can’t just go around killing people like that. It’s not right, John.”

           “I know. You’re right, Angela. I guess I should go now and let you finish studying.”

           “That’s fine, John. I will be going to sleep soon anyway. Goodbye! Love you!”

           “Goodbye! Love you!”

           Angela hangs up the phone, and lies in the bed worrying about John’s ‘problem’. She then puts her book back inside of her backpack. After getting changed into her pajamas, Angela begins to pray. She prays for John, for what he has just done, and for what she hopes that he will never do again. Finally, Angela goes to sleep.

           John goes to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Afterwards, he goes downstairs to get a drink of water. He notices that the dishes need to be washed, and the garbage needs to be taken out. It is too late, and John is too tired to do any chores. So, he turns out the light. Next, he walks up stairs. John places a half-empty glass of water on the night stand then lies in the bed. Soon after going to bed, John falls asleep.