The Untold Story of Cato and Clove

Author's Note:

Hey everyone! I really hope you like it! Please comment and tell me what you think! (: This is dedicated to yelhsamelissa. She made the amazing cover!
———————
Chapter 1

Cato's POV

"Cato! Wake up!" Cameron, my little sister, says while jumping up and down on my bed. "Cato!"

"Five more minutes." I tell her, rolling over so that my back is facing her.

"Get up! Don't you know what day it is?!" she says, jumping up and down.

Of course I know what day it is: The day of the Reaping. I've been training for this ever since I took my first steps. Today is the day I volunteer for the 74th Hunger Games.

A few seconds later Cameron is just inches away from my face. "Cato." she whispers. I open my eyes and before she can say anything else I start tickling her. She starts laughing. "Cato! Stop it!" She laughs. I stop ticking her. She looks up at me with her big brown eyes and says, "You're going to win, Cato."

Cameron practically worships the ground I walk on. I think she's probably my favorite person, but then again there is my brother, Caleb, and there is Clove. I couldn't pick, but I would do anything for them. Cameron is only twelve, and she's proud of me for going into the games. Growing up in District Two means training to become a victor starting the day we learn to walk.

I quickly get dressed and go down stairs.

"Cato!" My father greets me in the kitchen. Well, not really greets because greeting requires smiling and my dad never smiles. Ever.

"Good morning." I say.

"You know, son. I've always wanted my kids to be successful. Champions. Victors." My dad has always been hard on us. It got worse when my mom left when I was 10. He has always told us that he wanted us to be victors. His plan is for all of us to volunteer and win the Hunger Games. Crazy dream, right? I'm the first to volunteer since I'm the oldest, so I have to set an example and win for my family.

"I know. This isn't the first time you've told me."

"Cato, you need to be serious about this!"

"I am! And it's not like I ever told you I wanted to do this: Train, volunteer, win... Neither did Caleb or Cameron. We only do it to try to make you proud! We do it so maybe later we might be good enough for you! We do it so maybe one day you'll tell us that you love us. We do it for you..." I don't know where that came from. I didn't even know it was true until the words left my mouth. I look at his face to see if what I said even fazed him. Barely.

"I was just going to tell you that I know you can win." He said while getting a mug from the cabinet.

"Gee, thanks." I said sarcastically, and left the kitchen. He was just going to tell me he knew that I could win? Everyone knows that.

On my way out of the door I bump into Caleb.

"Hey where ya going?" He asks. We are almost inseparable. The only time we're a part is if one of us has to pee or if Clove and I are hanging out. Clove can't stand him and I don't want to risk her "accidentally" stabbing him with one of her knifes. Caleb and I are totally different, so no one really understands how we get along so well. I don't even understand it. He's two years younger than me, but he's more mature than most guys his age.

"Clove's house to say good bye." I replied.

"Dude!"

"What?"

"Talking a little loud aren't you? I mean aren't you worried that dad might hear?" My dad can't stand Clove's family. Ever since Clove's uncle killed my aunt in the Hunger Games, my dad has hated their family ever since. He cannot find out that Clove and I are friends.