I Will Always Return (Sequel to "Evermore")

You had been restless during those six months. Never had you been so impatent for half a year to pass so you could finally be able to walk onshore again. Nowhere you had stayed for longer than a week or two, not even when you had been with your family. Yes, you had a family down the ocean. A father, a mother and even a younger sister. They all couldn't quite understand why you felt so attracted to the world outside the ocean. But they had never tried to hold you back.

"She's got her own mind, she's stubborn. And she needs to find her own way", your dad always used to say with a smirk and let you go. You would always be thankful for that behavior.

Although your parents were worried about you whenever you wandered onshore, they accepted your decision. And when you had come back after months, they had seen that you weren't the same anymore. Your mother had asked you about it and as usual, you couldn't hide something. She always knew when something was wrong with her children. And so, you had told her about Elijah. She had encouraged you to not give him up or even forget him. Although you could only spend a month onshore before having to leave again, it could be worth it.

Now you were finally on your way back to the golf of mexico, so you could leave the sea at the same beach as Elijah had brought you to six months ago when you had to say your goodbyes.

Your heart started to beat faster in your chest the closer you got to the shore. Soon. Soon you'd see Elijah again and you hoped that he wouldn't have forgotten you. What if he hadn't waited for you? The sudden fear rushed over you and you had a hard time shaking it off again. No, you would go to New Orleans and at least meet Elijah to see how he had been during those six months. And then you'd see if he had missed you as much as you had missed him.

Slowly, you dived out of the water, taking a look on the beach. You couldn't get out and turn your fin into human legs while the beach would be full of people. But there wasn't anybody. Except for...you squinted your eyes to see better who was sitting there at the beach. And when you recognized the person sitting there in the sand, your heart skipped a beat. Elijah!

You waved at him and with help of your fin, you jumped out of the water for some seconds before you dived into it again. When you came up once more, you could see that Elijah had jumped to his feet and was walking into the water. You swam towards him as fast as you could and just before you would get out of the water, you could feel your fin turning into legs.

"Y/N!", Elijah exclaimed and laughing, you threw yourself into his arms. He was here. He hadn't forgotten about you. Without saying a word, he kissed you so deeply and for so long, as if he seemed to make it up for those lost six months. He spun you around until you laughed out loud, your hands clenching on Elijah's neck.

When he finally let you down again, you smiled at him. "I missed you, so much", you whispered and could see the sparkle in his eyes. The biggest smile had formed on his lips the moment he had seen you. But before he replied, Elijah took off his jacket and pulled it over you. It was only then when you realized that you were almost naked. Of course, the only thing you were wearing was a bra made out of shells and seaweed, decorated with some pearls.

"I missed you too, you have no idea how much", he eventually replied before pressing another kiss on your mouth.

"I thought you might forget about me", you said when you had parted again. Elijah shook his head and wrapped his arms around you even tighter.

"I could have never forgotten about you. I...I was afraid you could forget about me", he confessed quietly, his face serious again. "I had a hard time keep my hopes up that you'd return."

You smiled and gently stroked his cheek. God, how much you had missed to touch him! You hugged Elijah and put your cheek on his chest. It felt so good to be close to him again. And you didn't want to waste any time before you'd have to leave once again.

"Y/N", Elijah started and you looked up at him. "I want you to know that I'd always wait for you. When you...when you have to go back to the ocean the next time, please don't worry about me forgetting you or not wanting you anymore. Because that will never change. I love you."

You swallowed at his words and tried to hold back the tears. It just wasn't fair. You had finally found love but had to leave your heart here again after a month. How could this all work out forever? Would they even be able to figure out how to live a month together and then half a year apart? You sighed.

"And I want you to not worry about that when I'm gone too", you said. "No matter how long it takes, I will always return. I can't live without knowing that I have a chance to see you again." Your voice wasn't more than a whisper now, since you were overwhelmed by your emotions. It was just so complicated.

Elijah wrapped his arms around you again and pulled you into an embrace. He kissed your still wet hair and then brushed it out of your face, cupping your cheeks. "You're here again now. And that's all that counts", he said with a slight smile. "Let's make the best out of this month, okay?"

You nodded and then you finally walked to Elijah's car. You couldn't wait to meet his family again, you had missed them too, you had to admit. And he was right: you'd make the best out of the limited time you both had together. And you promised yourself, you'd not worry about what was to come. Somehow, Elijah and you would make it. You loved each other. And love had always found a way in the past.