Heartbeat

With taking some deep breaths, you put a hand on your chest and hoped, your heart would start to beat regularly again. Some days ago, it had gotten worse. Not a day had passed without you having trouble with your heartbeat. And not only that, you felt a pain in your chest from time to time and breathing got hard then. You felt weak sometimes and had slept a lot the last weeks. You knew, there was nothing that could help you – not the meds your doctor had given you and also no other treatments. The only help would be a donor heart. One that would be stronger than your own one. But you were aware of how small that chance was.

Holding your head up high, you continued your way through the French Quarter of New Orleans. You wanted to visit Elijah Mikaelson, your boyfriend. You hadn't seen him since weeks. He had family business to do you and hadn't wanted you with him at that time. You could understand. His family had a lot of enemies and he didn't want you to be in danger at any time. So, you had stayed away from him. But now he was back and you couldn't be without him for any longer.

Elijah opened the door just a second after you had knocked on the wooden door of the huge Mikaelson mansion. A smile appeared on his face as soon as he saw you. "Y/N", he simply said and pulled you into his arms before you could have said anything. You closed your eyes and deeply inhaled his smell you loved so much.

"I missed you", you finally murmured at his chest. "I missed you too." Elijah gently cupped your face and made you look at him. You were about to drown in his dark eyes when he pressed his lips against yours. Then, he pulled you with him into the house and closed the door with one of his feet.

When you were in the huge living room, you suddenly felt your heart getting out of control again. You pulled away from Elijah, who had wrapped his arms around you as soon as you sat on the couch. You got up and made a few steps towards the kitchen. "Y/N? What's the matter?" Elijah was with you immediately, looking slightly worried.

But you just shook your head. "I'm...I'm okay. I'd just like to have a glass of water", you murmured. But you knew, Elijah wouldn't believe you, although he went to bring you the water. You had returned to the couch when he came back and handed you a glass. "Thank you."

While you were drinking slowly, you could feel Elijah's eyes on you. He was examining you carefully and then scooted closer to you again. "Y/N...please tell me what's going on", he tried again to encourage you to talk. But you just couldn't. You couldn't tell him that you had health problems. That was something vampires didn't have to experience. What if he wouldn't understand?

You leaned against Elijah's shoulder and snuggled into his embrace. But just after some seconds, he pulled away again, his eyes wide now. "Y/N...your heart...", he said. His voice was still calm but you could see panic in his face. Of course, he would find out one day. Of course, your heart would be in a phase of not beating as it should when you were with him. And he could hear and feel that it wasn't alright. You swallowed. "What's going on with your heart? It's beating irregulary!", he exclaimed.

With a sigh, you slowly got up from the couch once again. "I...yeah, I'm suffering from this since quite a long time. I...I wanted to tell you but I just didn't know how and when." Elijah had stood up as well now and stepped to you.

"Is there anything you can do against it? Does it hurt you?", Elijah asked. He wanted to get to know more and you would have to tell him everything, you were aware of that. You grabbed Elijah's hand and led him back to the couch. You were tired, but tried to hide it. That was something you could hide.

"Listen, Elijah. There's nothing I or the doctors could do. They say, only a donate heart would help me. And until there's one, I have to take loads of meds. But they don't always help. The doctors even put in a cardiac peacemaker like two years ago. But my heart just doesn't seem to want to be normal." You gave Elijah a little smile. But he was just looking at you helplessly.

You put a hand on his cheek. "Please don't look at me like that", you whispered. He placed his own hand over yours. "You should have told me earlier."

"Maybe. But I didn't want to destroy our relationship with something like that. Don't you know how happy it makes me to be with you? To know that I'm loved by someone as amazing as you are? I want to spend my life with you, no matter how long it'll last."

Elijah jumped from the couch. "No! Don't say that! You won't die, Y/N! I'm not gonna let this happen!"

"Elijah, what do you want to do? Donate me your heart?" You let out a laugh. "Come on, I know it's not easy but we have to face the truth." You got up now as well and stepped towards him. You wrapped your arms around him from behind and placed your face on his back. And suddenly, tears were streaming down your face. You didn't want to die. Of course, you didn't want to. You wanted to live and you wanted to spend that life with Elijah.

Elijah turned around and cupped your face. "I don't want to lose you. It would kill me", he whispered as he whipped the tears from your cheeks. "But I don't know how to help you."

For a moment, you just looked at each other without saying a word. And then, an idea came to your mind. Why hadn't you thought about this earlier? "Elijah...", you started. "Yeah?" He waited for you to continue.

"You...you could help me. Oh my god, you actually could!" You couldn't hide your excitement anymore now. "How?" He frowned at you and you almost laughed because he hadn't thought about that possibility yet.

"Turn me", you simply said. "Turn me into a vampire! I'd be healthy again as soon as I'd be immortal!" Now Elijah's eyes widened and he made a step back.

"Y/N, do you really want this? You know, being a vampire doesn't have benefits only. Think of the craving for blood..."

You put a finger on his lips to make him stop talking. "I don't care. All I want is just to be healthy. I just want to be with you. Please do it." The last words were only a whisper that came from your lips. And when Elijah finally nodded, you leaned in and kissed him. He would be your savior. You were saved.