Chapter 11 - Cat Got Your Tongue?

Sitting beside Icepaw as she vibrated uncontrollably in the nest big enough for two, I looked down on her with despair piercing my heart. She watched the night go by, her eyes bloodshot and fur ruffled up. The moon had come to the highest point and outside was frosted over. Puffs of white air escaped her mouth as she breathed out. I followed her eyes and padded to the opening to the hollow. Gazing out, I watched the stars above twinkle through the gaps in the treetops.

Inwardly, I willed the young she-cat to sleep. Icepaw hadn't of even tried to fall asleep. It felt as if a thorn jabbed my heart, pity washing through me. I peeked over my shoulder at her as she stared through me, unblinking. Sighing, I decided to give it another shot. Padding to stand in front of her, I stared deep into her eyes. Icepaw seemed to look straight at me, as if she could see me again. But I knew she couldn't; her eyes moved as she scanned the Arena outside, pupils dilated and tail trembling.

Icepaw, it's Feathertail. I'm here with you. Go to sleep and when you wake, I'll still be here.

Her ear twitched but her expression didn't change even the slightest. Swallowing a growl of frustration, I got closer to her face and held my breath. I tried again: Icepaw. It's Feathertail, I'm still here. Try to sleep, you need to be strong.

She still didn't seem to hear me. I took in a deep breath. Closing my eyes, I rested my nose onto hers. It was cold and shaky. Icepaw, please tell me if you can hear me. It's Feathertail. I'm here.

Suddenly, her head jolted from my nose, a mixture of confusion and astonishment flooding her gaze. She looked around. A spark of hope flashed in my heart and I kept going. I'm here, Icepaw. I can help you get out of this place. Icepaw nodded, glancing around. Her eyes washed over with sorrow. It'll be okay. I want you to try to sleep now. When you wake, I will tell you more.

Icepaw dipped her head and put her head onto her paws. My heart fluttered with happiness. I did it! She can hear me! Oh thank StarClan... "Promise you'll be here when I wake?" She rasped drowsily. Putting my nose to hers, I let myself purr. Of course, I promise. I won't go anywhere.

"Cross your heart and hope to die?" Icepaw whispered as sleep took over. I smiled, I cross my heart and hope to die.

*****

I jolted awake as the announcement of my death and Mudclaw's echoed through the Arena. I wonder what Hawkpaw is thinking now? Are him and Ashfoot going to come after Icepaw now?

As Poison finished speaking, Icepaw's head shot up from her paws and she took in a weary breath. She almost seemed to hesitated before she spoke. "Feathertail?" Icepaw whispered as she sat up slowly. I put my nose to hers. I'm still here. I replied, taking my nose away from hers. This is going to be harder than I thought. If I'm going to train her and protect her, I have to touch her nose just to speak... I can't tell her things when she's fighting!

Beginning to pace around the hollow, I pressed my nose to Icepaw's. Come outside, we should begin your training.

Icepaw tipped her head to the side but after a few heartbeats, she stood up and began climbing down. I easily jumped out and landed on my four paws as light as a feather. The leaves below me didn't crunch, and my paws didn't leave any prints in the softening ground. I watched the small she-cat slowly climb backwards down the long tree trunk. Hopping down, her paws thumped onto the ground. Icepaw glanced around the quiet forest, anxiety showing in her wide eyes.

"Feathertail? I thought I would be able to see you? I heard from a few other apprentices before that we could see the dead, so why can't I see you?" She murmured, her eyes darting from tree to tree behind me. Icepaw spun around and looked up into the tree-tops.