Chapter 3 - Settling In

I could say I had a good nights rest because I stayed asleep, but the old nest ruined that statement. After the intense training and sleeping awkwardly, my back was stiff. Even though my body silently insisted I stay asleep, being woken up by Lostface screaming at us was enough to scare me out of my nest. Grooming myself thoroughly, I was soon ready to travel and fight. 

Not a lot of chatter could be heard in the main nest area, at least, not as much as last night. Crowfeather dropped a rabbit off at our feet and padded off with a second one for another group, not so much as laying an eye on me.

"I miss my trout and minnows. These rabbits have a different texture, and I'm not sure I like it." Loudbelly mumbled, ripping the rabbits fur off and eating the meat. "You can say that again," I muttered, ripping out some meat for myself. With a mouthful of cold meat, he meowed, "Fish in general, I'd be happy." I nodded but didn't reply, focusing on the rabbit meat. 

I licked my lips and, out of habit, fixed any knots I had missed. The rabbit was enough to fill my belly, but fish tasted so much better. If only the BloodClan rogues would try it... I couldn't remember the last time I ate fish, I realized. 

"Everyone, today's the day!" Poison's excited meow echoed from the tunnel entrance and he practically skipped into the main nest area. "We will travel away to the moor and begin the Hunger Games. So be prepared, watch your back and stay alert!" 

Poison turned around and led the way out the narrow tunnel and into the fresh air. I breathed it in and waited for Loudbelly, Frostfur and Icepaw before followed. Faintly, I sighed and we padded close to the rear of the group with Icepaw walking beside me and Loudbelly on the other side. The group of us trekked in silence, making our way through the territory.

The territory with trees and lots of leaflitter had the tunnel to the training arena, the camp where all of BloodClan stayed was the whole marsh and pine trees territory, while the lake and lookalike to RiverClan territory was empty. 

We padded through the forest, mice and squirrels running away in a hurry along with a couple of magpies and pigeons. The forest was pretty cool looking, but I bet they never have seen the beautiful scene of the pink sky shimmering on the surface of swirling currents, to watch the river drag minnows downstream in the spring, and the astonishing sight of moonlight glistening on the water. I've sneaked out before just to swim in the lake and to watch the sun rise on the dark water; it was amazing, just to see and feel the water embrace me. It filled me with hope that one day, someone would take a stand and stop the madness of murder. 

I was jolted out of my thoughts as Loudbelly shoved me with his shoulder. I glared at him and he pointed to the root that the others were hopping over. I have him an apologetic look and kept going. 

Finally, just as the sun started to fill the moor and forest with light, I stepped into the heather and long grass. It felt weird to be in a totally different territory, one that was dry instead of filled with mud. My heart longed for the reeds and stones and scales, not heather and long grass. Though, it's better than cleaning muck from your fur! 

We weren't even two tail-lengths into the moor when I spotted the large dip in the ground, brambles and sticks making a barrier around it. The barrier was at least three times my size and was held up by thick sticks. Mini sticks were holding up the brambles where I could see and I assumed it offered an open place where prey could get through and repopulate. 

I looked forward as the group halted. I watched as the group began to go underground, a sign that we were about to begin the Trials. My heart started to beat faster as my turn came up. I took a deep breath in and held my breath, letting it out in a rush as Loudbelly pushed me forward. Closing my eyes, I plunged into the darkness. My body was crammed in between the tunnel and a fluffy tail in front of me. Fighting the urge to sneeze, I stalked down the tight tunnel.