|One|

"I swear, Mimi, it's like you're testing to see how well I can handle a heart attack," my mother said to me as we heard the familiar sound of the police sirens down the street. It was probably the third or fourth time they sounded since we arrived at my apartment. "Why couldn't you have picked somewhere safe, like a suburb?"

"Because a suburb is too far away, Mom." I said, and set the last few pieces of glassware in the cabinet. "This apartment has the best walking distance to work, and a short cab ride if the weather's bad."

"Please don't tell me you'll walk home at night unless it's with a friend." She said.

"I promise I'll be safe. I wouldn't purposefully put myself in danger."

"I just worry about you, you know?"

"It's a mom thing, I know." I laughed.

We continued unpacking until I was pretty much all moved in, aside from a few decorations that I didn't know what to do with just yet. I hugged my mom goodbye and let her head back home in East Village. I loved having her far enough to give me a taste of independence, but close enough that I didn't need to take a plane to reach her.

I sat down on my couch, letting out a sigh of relief. I was content with my space, and I was excited for this new journey in New York. I was starting my new job at a law firm as a legal receptionist in the morning for a law firm not too far from my apartment. I didn't really want to be a lawyer, but I had a degree in psychology and criminology, and eventually wanted to work in forensic psychology, but at least this was a foot in the door.

I was exhausted from moving all day, but I knew if I wanted dinner I was either going to have to buy groceries or go find some fast food. I knew we passed a pizza place just a few blocks down the street, and it was still daylight, so I decided to head out and navigate my way there because I knew there was a very slim chance I would actually use the stove tonight.

*

The next morning, I woke up late. Typical. I rushed around and eventually got myself back on schedule, checking myself in the mirror to make sure I looked presentable and not like I just went through a wind tunnel before heading out the door and to the office.

It was probably just under a ten minute walk, which was way better than I expected. I walked into the building and saw a young man standing at the desk, shuffling through a stack of papers and looking up upon hearing the door open.

"Amelia," he smiled, and walked around the desk with his hand extended. "Nice to see you again."

"Nice to see you too, Mr. Payne." I said as I shook his hand.

"Please, you can call me Liam. I'm not that formal." He laughed, and motioned for me to follow him around the desk. "We took care of a lot of paperwork over the weekend, so you don't have a load of work to do on your first day," he assured me. "Today, all I really need you to do is greet clients as they come in, I'll probably have you copy and fax some work, and answer phone calls."

"Okay," I said. "And if someone wants to schedule a meeting with you, do I transfer them to you?"

He nodded and pointed at the desk phone. "Yep, just press this button and then my number will show up, just hit that and I can take it from there. I'll teach you later how to put them into my schedule, but I didn't want to overwhelm you on your first day."

I smiled and thanked him, and sat down to get started. Throughout the day, it seemed like I always had the phone tucked between my ear and my shoulder, typing emails to clients and associates, and when I had the chance, copying letters for Liam. It was more hectic than I expected, but it kept me busy and that's really what I wanted in a job.