Chapter 3 - The Yellow Dragon

Chapter 3 – The Yellow Dragon

Was I already found out?

"What are you talking about?" I innocently asked. "Goddesses aren't real, right?"

I was not yet ready to be found out by them. I desperately needed to keep my identity as a goddess a secret. "Roo-na told me that gods and goddesses are real so I believe her,"

"But why would a goddess be on land?" I asked. "Aren't they supposed to be up there?" I looked at the heaven to avoid suspicion. I needed to convince Zeno that gods and goddesses wouldn't walk on land without a purpose.

"Maybe," he grinned happily. "But you looked like one while you were dancing with your sword. The flowers swayed around with your movements. I think that your sword dancing is heavenly!"

I felt a tingly feeling in my stomach when he said that. Nobody had every praised my sword dancing before because nobody ever saw me did it. I practiced in secret.

It was a private hobby of mine.

"Thank you," was all that I managed to say about his remark. I sat on the flower bed while Zeno sat beside me. I looked at the sky and asked, "If you think that gods and goddesses are real...what do you think they are doing right now?"

Zeno placed his palms on the ground at his back then also looked up at the sky, "I personally don't know. Gods and goddesses...they might be protecting the world but I think they're very lonely,"

My head turned to look at him. "What makes you think so?"

"It's because they don't die, right?" as I looked at Zeno, I noticed that his eyes were filled with sadness. It was like he was a god himself as he described one being lonely. But I knew that he was no god because if he was one, I would sense it.

"What do you mean?" I asked further. I wanted to know what he felt.

I wanted to know why he knew how I felt.

"They lead an immortal life...sometimes they don't know what happiness feels like," he explained. "What if they got attached to humans? It's a pain to live while you see them die with your own eyes. It's a pain to not be able to be with them forever,"

With his explanation, I got more curious than before. "Zeno, why do you talk like you already experienced it?"

"I did," he smiled sheepishly and that made my eyes widen.

"...How?"

"I'm immortal,"

"B—But..." I stuttered. "...you're human,"

"Have you heard of the five dragons?" he asked and I nodded. I knew of the five dragons, Blue Dragon, White Dragon, Yellow Dragon, Green Dragon, and Red Dragon. I had encountered them before. They were dragons who loved each other unlike me and my siblings. "I've got the blood of the Yellow Dragon running through my veins,"

Now that I had given it a thought, I first saw Kija with a bandaged hand that ran all the way up his arm. "Is Kija the White Dragon?" I asked and he nodded. "That makes Jae-ha the Green Dragon and Shin-ah the Blue Dragon," that made sense since their hair colour was too different for a normal human to have. "Don't tell me that the Red Dragon is...Yona?"

"That's right," he replied. "The first generation was given the blood to protect King Hiryuu who descended the Earth as human—the red dragon—and now, we are supposed to protect Yona,"

"You're part of the first generation, aren't you?"

"Yes," he said. "I've lived for a long time that's why I know of the pain. It was a burden to know that your friends died and you still haven't aged. I was married once too, you know? But I saw her die,"

My heart ached because of Zeno's past.

I hadn't had anyone close to me died in front of my eyes since I hadn't mingled with humans ever since I was born. It was needless to say that I was selfish for wanting to be close to humans as I saw Zeno so heartbroken.

"Are you happy now?" I wondered.

"I am," he nodded. "But I know that this happiness won't last long. Everyone will disappear one day, Yona, Hak, the four dragons, Yun, Roo-na...and even you," you were wrong about that part, Zeno. "But I'm not afraid to get attached to people. Even if all of you are gone, you're always going to be in my heart. I will cherish all the memories that we have together. I will never forget all of you,"

"Zeno, I—" No. I couldn't tell Zeno.

I almost told him that I was really a goddess just like he said.

I wouldn't tell him the truth since I didn't want to bring Zeno into my selfish desires.

***

I was roaming the castle when I heard voices in one of the rooms. I stopped walking and listened to their conversation.

"—the Earth Tribe's becoming poor," the voice belonged to Hak.

"It seems like their crops are not growing properly," Yona added.

"Hmm..." I recognized Yun's voice. "Maybe there is not enough sunlight for the crops to grow. The walls of the Earth tribe may be blocking the sun,"

"I'm guessing that we need to investigate and aid the Earth Tribe?" Jae-ha asked.

Crops.

Sunlight.

Without giving it a second thought, I slammed the door open and said, "Let me go to the Earth Tribe."