chapter two ~ home

"Quiet now, Yvaine. Our guest is still asleep," a female voice cooed. "Though I do hope she wakes up soon."

"Why is she so cold?" said another voice, presumably that of Yvaine. And something brushed against Maria's cheek.

"She has come a long way, from over the sea."

"Is she from Aslan's country?"

"No, dear. She comes from another world."

Maria tried to move under the masses of blankets. The weight of them trapped her in a bed of felt and silks. "Where?" she mumbled groggily.

"Look now, you've woken her up," sighed the older of the two.

"No, it's okay." Maria struggled into a sitting position.

The room was very simple, the only light coming from the fireplace, flickering over the dark walls. There was an armchair on the opposite side of the fire, upon which sat a Dryad, fiddling with a bundle of pale silk. She looked odd; Maria was used to seeing Dryads laced from head to toe in vines, leaves and beautiful flowers. But this dainty female figure was clocked in a felt-like tunic that drowned her frail frame. A smaller, child-like Dryad sat at her feet, dressed the same and was staring up at their strange guest. Despite the lack of other things in the room, it was small enough to feel cosy.

"Where am I?" Maria asked again.

"Underground, safe, for now," said the taller Dryad.

"Safe from what?"

"Her."

"Who is 'Her'?"

"The one who calls herself Queen of Narnia."

Maria sighed through her nose. It didn't seem like she was going to get too much out of this creature any time soon. "Who is Elijah?"

"How do you-"

"I heard someone say that Elijah knew I was coming. Is Elijah a Firesong?"

"Yes; I believe you knew her mother, Asher."

"Can I see her?"

In response, the taller Dryad stood and ushered the smaller away. She promised Maria she would do her best with the dress, the silk she had been picking at, but Maria told her to keep it, that it no longer had any value to her.

Soon after the two had disappeared through a dark hole in the wall behind her, another Dryad stepped in, wearing a longer felt tunic than the first, with a thin veil wrapped around her head. She looked frail and old, not like any Dryad Maria had ever seen. The Dryad sat in the armchair opposite her, warming her hands by the fire before looking up with a kind smile.

"Elijah?"

"Yes. I'm glad I was able to meet you, Nimueh Firesong."

"Is Asher..." Maria trailed off into a moment's silence.

"I'm afraid so. She disappeared about a hundred years ago."

"I'm sorry," was all she could think to say. "You're having a bad winter this year."

Elijah smiled sadly. "We have a bad winter every year."

"I heard you knew I was coming."

"Oh yes, I saw you in a vision, you came to defend Narnia; we're certainly in need of you now."

"How long has it been?"