Chapter 33

"The bullet just went through my arm, didn't stay embedded," Victor said, smiling as he looked at Kate. "And it didn't even hit the bone. Kate, stop worrying. Those lines on your forehead is giving me a headache now."

Kate blinked and opened her mouth to say something but Victor cut in.

"And don't even dare say it is your fault, because it is so damn not." Victor gave her a firm look.

His eyes said he knew what exactly had been going on in her brain, like always.

How was he able to do this every time?

"Had it hit your bone, you might have lost your arm!" Kate shook her head, trying hard to remove the disturbing mental image from her mind. "And what if you were hit in the heart or any other organ. I could have lost you Victor."

Earlier, when the police arrived, a thorough investigation commenced in the orphanage. The function was ruined. At least they were at the end bit of the day already and in a twisted way it brought massive popularity to the orphanage because of the media coverage.

The surrounding buildings were searched without wasting a single moment, especially the tall buildings in the direction where the red laser pointer beam Victor had detected coming from. And at last, evidences were found on a building rooftop that determined that a sniper had been there. 

Police settled on the result at the earliest that someone had put a hit on her.

Kate realized Alex was so right. Also, there was no doubt who was behind this.

A shiver ran down Kate's spine. 

It seemed, insanity in the name of love and revenge ran through the Ashworth genes.

Kate's eyes furrowed when she noticed Victor was quietly staring at her, an obscure look on his face.

"What?" she touched her brow, then down her cheek. "Something on my face?"

He seemed to snap out of it. In a second, his cheeky smile was on. "No," he cleared his throat before adding nonchalantly, "So..., you and Alex?"

"Do not pretend," Kate narrowed her eyes. "That you didn't hear it all."

She almost gaped seeing the tips of Victor's ears turning red. "Well, I did, okay," he shrugged, picking at the edge of the bandage around his wounded arm. "And thank God for that, you are safe now."

"Victor!" Kate chastised, getting reminded again what a foolish leap he had made to receive that bullet meant for her.

To ease it off, he lifted the corner of his mouth and threw her a playful smirk. "Relax, babe! If you had lost me," he put pressure to those words, his eyes twinkling. "Then I would have still come back to you... as a ghost. Imagine me creeping in the corners of your apartment, scaring the crap out of you every once in a while."

Kate's brow ticked, one of her common habits when she was dangling in between getting irritated and bursting out in laughter.

Pressing her lips against the smile, she whacked hard on his good arm.

"This is not funny," she said, trying to scowl.

"Ah, but it so bloody was, when I took you and Ellie to watch this horror movie. What was the name...," he paused to think for a second.

"I didn't scream like Ellie!" she protested in the meanwhile, with indignant eyes and a smile.

"I beg to differ," he repelled calmly.