4 - Plan Your Story

Some writers like to plan their books while others prefer to go with the flow and let the characters take charge. Both methods are useful in their own rights, but when it comes to writing for a contest, it's good to have a battle plan to hand...

Example: 

The golden rule for the Wattys has always been - have a strong storyline. Just take a look at the previous winners. So it's important to give your story a little extra thought, making sure you've got all the basics down. If your book has a plot (storyline) that is easy to follow, interesting and well-structured, you're already halfway to winning!

How To: 

When in doubt, keep it simple. Whether you're trying to break new ground with something a bit different or keep it traditional with a popular genre, your story will follow a structure. The most widely recognised and successful story plan is the beginning, middle and end layout. Check that your story follows this pattern. If not, maybe invest some time in a rewrite or edit before submitting it to the Wattys.

>Inciting Incident

>Action to overcome 

>Resolution to an ending

Top Tip: The beginning of your story, and especially the first paragraph, is the MOST important. Spend a lot of time making sure your book opens with your best line and best writing to make a great first impression and keep those Watty Editors reading!