7.- A battle within

Aiden’s POV

When I finally sensed her presence nearing the mansion I went straight to the backyard. Of course she was with Caleb.

“Well...” I heard Caleb expectantly say to her. It seemed that he had asked her a question I just missed. “You know you can tell me anything, right? You can trust me, B.”

I growled inwardly. She was supposed to tell me everything and trust me. Wasn’t I supposed to be her ‘mate’?

“I know. It’s just-,” Brooke said and stopped talking immediately. I calculated my position and realized she had sensed my presence nearing. As much as I wanted to know what they were talking about, I couldn’t stop moving forward.

I could have easily eavesdropped the rest of their conversation without them knowing, since my senses as an Alpha were stronger than the rest, but my curiosity wasn’t half as strong as the need to get to her.

When I came home and didn’t find her anywhere in the house I went to search for her. I grew worried by the second when no one in the mansion knew where she was. Every worst possible scenario went through my mind as I tried to break through the walls she had put around her mind, making it unable to communicate with her. All kinds of thoughts went through my mind. From her running away, to being kidnapped by Rogues. I almost lost it.

It was only when Will returned with the news that she was still on the territory, safe and sound, that I was able to breathe again.

“Where the hell have you been?” I growled the second she came in view.

Brooke’s eyes found mine. Her pale face didn’t go unnoticed by me. She looked like she had seen a ghost. Was I scaring her? Damn it, I cursed at myself.

Brooke opened her mouth to respond, but Caleb cut her off. “She was with me. We went for a run.”

“And neither of you thought it would have been a good idea to let anyone no where you went. Everyone has been worried sick about you, Brooke,” I yelled at her. I didn’t know what took over me, but before I knew it my whole body was vibrating with anger. I didn’t know who I was angry at the most. Brooke, for almost making me worry about her safety or Caleb for butting in.

“I-I’m sorry,” she murmured and lowered her head.

Caleb came to stand in front of me, placing himself between Brooke and me as if I formed a threat to her. “Get a grip, man. You’re almost shifting,” he said as he placed a hand on my shoulder.

I shrugged his hand off as I looked between them. At that moment Will joined us in the back yard and eyed the situation suspiciously.

‘He’s right, Aiden. You look like you’re about to attack someone,’ Will told me through the mind link. My eyes darted to his direction and he gave me a subtle nod towards Brooke. ‘Listen to her heartbeat. You’re scaring her.’

I slowly looked over at Brooke. She still hadn’t looked up to meet my eyes. She was looking even paler than when I arrived here and her heart was indeed beating frantically.

This wasn’t what I wanted. I wanted to let her know how much we were worried about her, how much I was worried about her.

Taking a side step to get away from Caleb and get closer to Brooke I noticed both Caleb and Will’s eyes on me. They seemed to be moving closer to me in case I made a sudden move. What was it with everyone thinking I was going to snap? I guess being an Alpha made me look intimidating even when I wasn’t trying to.

If it was any other situation I would have been amused by their attempt to keep me at bay.

“Do you seriously think I would hurt my mate?” I told them, shaking my head. Brooke lifted her head up and when I saw the hurt in her eyes I felt like I was punched in the gut. It was too late, I had already hurt her.