17.- Shattered hearts

I want to start this chapter off by announcing the winner of the little music competition. You guys commented with some awesome songs so THANK YOU all for your efforts. It was really hard to choose a song from the selection you created for me, but eventually I had to. So without further ado, the winner of the music competition is..... drum roll please! @Khadijahr6.

Since @Khadijahr6 doesn't have a story to her account I also choose a second winner: @The_Walking_Awesome Already Gone from Kelly Clarkson might be an oldie, but it hits the nail on the head for this chapter. So let me know which one of your stories you want me to read :).

Guys! Enjoy listening to Hunger from Ross Copperman while reading this chapter (many thanks to @Khadijahr6)!!

Xx

------------

Brooke's POV

The second it registered in my mind that I was kissing Aiden back, I quickly pulled away, pushed him off of me as if he was on fire.

As Aiden stumbled back I took two steps backwards myself. Eyes full of shock and confusion shot up to meet mine. I was pretty sure they were exactly mirroring mine. Aiden wasn't shocked that I pushed him away, but he was shocked of his own actions. Unfortunately, I related to that.

"I'm so sor-" he started to say and took a step closer to me, but I held my hand up stopping him. Regret was written all across his face, which was only making matters worse.

"Please, don't," I interrupted him, trying to keep my voice leveled. I needed to clear my mind and distance. A lot of distance. All kinds of thoughts were swirling through my mind and I couldn't make sense of any of them if Aiden was still standing so close to me. I hated myself for still feeling the sensation of his warm body so close to me. Even my lips still tingled from the kiss.

"Brooke, just hear me out," Aiden, sounding almost pleadingly.

It was a mistake, I knew that, but for some reason I knew that hearing him say those words was going to hurt more.

Michael's face shot like a lightning bolt through my mine. As if clearing a path through the haze of thoughts in my head a specific memory of the two of us came to the front.

"I love you, Brooke. Always have, always will," Michael told me as he pulled me in for an embrace.

"Good thing I love you back, then," I grinned up at him and stood on my toes to kiss him.

It was right before he left for the battle. Michael insisted on leaving nothing unsaid before he took off, while I didn't take him seriously. "You can tell me when you get back," I kept telling him. Who knew he wasn't ever coming back again.

With all my might I tried to push the thought of Michael out of my mind. I didn't dare to linger on that memory with Aiden standing right in front of me. Somehow thinking about Michael when I had just kissed Aiden felt wrong.

How did I get from not wanting to betray my mate to not wanting to hurt Aiden's feelings by thinking about said mate?

We were both under a lot of stress, that was it. It explained our reckless behavior. We were lonely and missed our mates. It was stupid and silly and maybe even a bit crazy. All in all, a huge mistake. A mistake that was not to be repeated.

I sighed. "We should head inside if we want to make it in time for the meeting you arranged." The best thing for us was to move on from this moment and forget it ever happened.

Aiden gritted his teeth. "So this is how it's going to be?"

"Aiden, don't complicate things any further," I said, regretting my words instantly. I made it sound like it was completely his fault, when in fact I kissed him back. That made it just as much my fault as it was his.