Yes Boss! - 7

Chapter 7: In which he's a jerk.

The sun streaming in through my windows woke me up with a start. I gasped and sat up as quick as I could without getting a whiplash and looked at the clock in my bedside table and saw that it was 10.23 in the morning.

"Shit!" I yelped struggling to get up from my bed but I just ended up being tangled up in my sheets and fell off the bed with a blood curling scream...only to realize...that it was Sunday.

"UGHHHHHH!" I face palmed myself and fell back on the floor, sheets and all.

It has been two weeks since that event in the restaurant, with me finding out about my half-sister and knowing about Nathan's parents and it was safe to say that Nathan has been avoiding me ever since. I mean, we talk and all, but he keeps using that bossy tone on me that screamed 'strictly business' and keeps piling a heap load of work on my desk so that I stay buried in my work all day. I think I went four whole days without any lunch and this time Nathan could give a flying rats ass if I had any food or not. To top it all off, he made me do overtime for three days straight and went home even before my work was done.

Normally, I wouldn't be giving a damn about why my old high school bully and current boss was acting so rudely towards me but Jesus Fucking Christ, I did give a damn! This was Nathan Synclair we were talking about and they guy could be a lot of things but this new rude, jerk-ish behavior was really starting to get on my nerves. I mean, after the time we spent together on my first day at work, I thought this would be a pleasant work experience and that we could actually become friends of sorts, but come next day, Nate had become this completely different person.

Ok, well...maybe I wasn't that happy about the fact that one moment I felt like Nate and I were developing some sort of a connection and the next he doesn't give two shits about me. Why was I bothered about that again? I had no fucking clue.

I quickly untangled myself from the covers and sat up from the floor. It was a Sunday and I wasn't about to waste it thinking about my arrogant Boss. Arranging the bed and my whole house as quickly as I could, I jumped into the shower and washed up and shampooed my hair. After drying, I wore my favorite white dress that had little red flowers all around the bottom and the hem line. It was a dress Elijah had gotten me on my birthday last year.

I let my hair down since it was still wet and for once I wanted it to dry on its own without the help of that God awful heated air which only managed to make my hair dry and frizzy. With just a dab of eyeliner and a touch of pink lip gloss, I was done with my makeup. I took my red handbag, the watch that Elijah had mailed to me last Christmas and my white flats and went out of my apartment, locking it properly.

I raced to the bus stand and was fortunate enough to have the bus still waiting to be filled up as I got in. I got on and took a seat in the middle, right next to a window.

Today is a special day for me. It's my mom's birthday. I know she isn't around anymore but ever since her death ten years ago, I always go to her grave on this very day with my best friend Florence and we get a small pastry and light it up on her tombstone and let the wind blow it out.

I know it's childish but it just makes me feel like my mom is still here with me, celebrating her birthday. We don't eat the pastry though; we just keep it on the stone and take a walk around the graveyard or just hang out in Florence's house. By the time of my departure, several birds have already finished the pastry and it also feels like a sign that my mom had accepted the offering. It always makes me feel happy, like a blessing from my mother. It's like she's telling me that she hasn't left me, she's right here and she always will be.