Chapter 5; Distractions

The ride was silent.

The only source of noise was Riley shaking her leg up and down, as she tightly held her bag, staring outside the window.

Her mind was filled with nothing else except the fact that she was on a somewhat-kind-of-date with him.

"Want to play music?" Farkle asked, his hands on the steering wheel.

"Sure," she smiled.

Farkle pressed the power button on, and the both of them silently drowned themselves in their own thoughts as they drove by blinding street lights and lonesome roads.

•••

"And we're here," Farkle sighed, as he finally parked the car in the lot.

The gigantic screen in front of them started to project an old romance drama. The atmosphere was nice and cozy, as Farkle glanced at the other cars parked around them, filled with happy lovey dovey couples.

The opening music started playing as it showed where it all startes, and before Farkle knew it, they were already halfway into the movie.

"This is actually better than I thought,"he laughed, glancing at Riley.

"Me too," she smiled, grabbing some popcorn.

The movie was about a damsel in distress and her daily life, where everything was all well and normal, that is, until a cowboy from the west moves next door.

"Achoo!" a voice sneezed, shocking both of them.

"Did you hear that?" Riley asked, a confused expression on her face.

"Maybe that was someone nearby," he replied.

"Yeah," she muttered, engrossed in the movie.

"Farkle," an unknown voice whispered.

"I'm just going to check something," he replied, getting out of the car.

He walked to his trunk and opened it, only to reveal Zay on his phone.

"Why the fuck are you here?" he hissed at his friend.

"I'm here for moral support," he grinned, "And a free movie, too. So let me out of here."

Farkle sighed and helped his friend out of the trunk.

Returning to the driver's seat, he resumed watching the movie with Riley.

It was finally over, and Farkle peacefully drove her to the Italian Restaurant that a friend of his recommended.

"That was fun," Riley smiled, dimples popping out of her cheeks.

He parked as quickly as he could and rushed over to open the door for her.

Riley was squealing, on the inside at least.

What's happened to both of them was truly unbelievably hard for her to comprehend. It was too good to be true.

Walking to the diner, they walked in with innocent young smiles on their
faces and took a seat at an empty booth.

"Can I take your order?" the waiter asked, in an emotionless voice.