ELEVEN

"Alice, here's your letter. He wanted me to tell you that he is sorry for his messy handwriting. He couldn't write it yesterday because he was stuck at work for so long and he had to go in early this morning, but he made sure he'd write back."

"Thanks, Ponyboy."

We rushed to last period together, and I sat down eagerly opening the note.

Dear Alice Rue Stratton,
Yes, finally you listen to me! Don't worry I will take you somewhere with lots and lots of food. I miss you more,
Sodapop Patrick Curtis

P.S. Thank you
P.P.S. Please tell me where you live, I want to pick you up from you house tonight.
P.P.P.S. I know it is be quiet

"Alice, is there something you want to share?" My teacher yelled as she snapped her fingers in front of my face, snapping me out of my happiness.

"I dunno!? Maybe we should ask them!" I said.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed. I pulled out a new piece of paper to write back.

     Dear Sodapop Patrick (ha) Curtis,
Thank you. I can't wait! My favorite food is french fries. And milkshakes. And candy. Never mind, my favorite food is everything.
I miss you most,
Alice Rue Stratton

P.S. You're welcome
P.P.S. Fine, it's 201 Cobblestone Way
P.P.P.S. No

We didn't do anything after ten minutes of class since it was the last day. After I finished my letter, Ponyboy came to the back of the room to talk to me.

"Hey, Alice."

"Hey. Uh, here's the letter."

"Thanks. You really do like him, don't you?"

"Yeah, I guess." I said looking at the floor.

"What's wrong, did I say something?"

"No, nothing."

"Alice..."

"Nothing it's just this whole 'love' thing never works out for me. No matter how hard I try, no matter how hard I wait I'm just... I don't know. I hate it."

"Have you ever been in love?" He asked.

"Yes."

"Did they love you back?"

"No." I could feel my eyes beginning to burn up.

"Whoever it was, it was their loss."

"No, it's my loss." I held my hands together on my legs tightly, preventing me from losing my grip on my emotions.

"That doesn't make any sense..."

"It does. It's my loss because I never got any of his love back."

"No, it's his loss because he didn't to have your love."

"He had someone else to love instead."