FOUR

Waking up with only half the covers remaining on me, I wrapped myself in my fuzzy blanket and stumbled to my windowsill.

I always set my alarm for late as possible, because to me, every single minute of sleep counts. Dew was inside of my window and I could still smell the rain from last night. I loved rain and it always managed to calm me when I sleep.

I opened my vast wooden dresser where my underwear and socks laid folded one by one. My white blouse and olive skirt were hung on the handle of the door by my mother's doing.

After getting dressed, I examined myself in the mirror. I tried to contain the uneasy waves in my hair by pinning it up in a white bow, which was good enough for me.

"Is that how you're wearing your hair to school?" My mom asked, as soon as I was down the steps, mid - staircase. I do love my mother, but she always wants me to look my best, which is quite unfair, because I never look good on my own.

"Yes, I plan to do so. Let me guess you'd like to fix it?" I asked.

"Come here." She laughed. She handed me a plate of waffles with syrup in a puddle far from my food, because I don't like my food touching.

"Goodness Alice, how do you get yourself into the messes?" She said as she began to tug at the large knot on my head.

"I dunno. I'm just naturally a mess. It's not my fault mom. I think it looks fine." I hated it when she tried to fix me. I didn't go around looking all raggedy, but I wasn't always looking my best either.

"Quit pulling so hard, Mom! It hurts!"

"Alice, this isn't working out. Did you wash your hair last night?"

"...no, I did not wash my hair last night, mother." I mocked her in her proper old lady voice she had.

"Oh my, Alice. This here's a mess. It's about time we leave, too. I'll be out soon. You need to start waking up early, you can't even eat now." She said as she guided me to the door.

"WAIT, MY BAG!" I panicked.

Even though I wore a skirt, I leaped over furniture and skipped three steps a time to get my bag as quickly as I could. Running down the hallway and breaking my door open, I yanked my bag off my chair and left.

I ran back down the hallway, but I reversed once I reached the steps.

"DAMNIT!" I sighed.

I frantically searched my room for Sodapop's hat. I had to give it to Ponyboy today. I tore the comforters off my bed and pulled everything out my drawers, only to see the hat in the reflection of my mirror, laying on my nightstand.