SEVEN

"So you and Dally, huh?" Vicki said, as she sat on her bed while I looked for my pajamas though my bag.

"What?" I said, taking off my shirt and tossing it on top of my bag.

"Oh, come one. You know you like him."

     "No no no, there is no 'me' and Dally. Never."

     "Oh really?" She laughed and crossed her arms.

     "Yes, really."

     She gave me a skeptical look as if I were denying the obvious truth.

     After changing my clothes, I closed the window and laid down on my mattress beginning to think about Dally, and even more about Soda.

🌻

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside of Vic's window, and the bang of pots downstairs in the Kitchen. The smell of bacon rose all the way up to Vicki's room, and it immediately made me happy.

     Putting on my socks, I stepped out of the room and walked into the kitchen.

     "Hey Alice, you want some pancakes?" Rose asked, holding the sizzling pan nearly in front of my face.

     "Nah, I'm good. I'll have bacon though. Did my parents say when they are picking me up?"

     "No. But you can stay here as long as you want."

     "You wanna walk around town today? Maybe see Dally or somethin'?" Vicki asked me as she slid a cup of orange juice towards me on the counter.

     "I guess.. none of your friends are gonna be there, are they? I know they don't like people like me." I said, hoping she wouldn't make me walk around town with her.

     "Nah. You'll be fine. You got extra clothes?"

     "No. None I can wear around here, anyway." I said, implying that I just wanted to go home.

"Damn. I think I have some jean shorts upstairs, but I don't think I got anything else clean. Sorry Alice."

"Ugh, thanks. I'll be ready soon." I said taking a few pieces of bacon back to her room her room.

I took off my gray tank top and put on my black muscle shirt that I used for pajamas. I stole Vicki's black converse from the closet even though the front of the shoe was coming apart, and they were noticeably faded.

"Alice can you do my hair in those two braids like you did last time? You know, the braids that start at the top of my head and go all the way down?" Vicki asked as she tugged at the bottom of my hair.

"Yes I can do the stupid braids. Only if we don't have to see Dally. Then I'll do your braids." I scoffed.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Now hurry, do my braids!"

I braided her hair into two tight French braids as well as I could with my injured hand and tied them tightly at the bottom.

     "Alright!! So I have a plan. Ready?" Vicki said, as she jumped up from the floor, and attempted to pull me up with her.