It's Like I Told You Honey

Chapter Twenty

"Where did you get the car?"

"It's one of the dummy's. There's a few parked around the block just in case."

I was slightly impressed. "Interesting."

He pulled into a familiar parking lot, one that I never thought I would see again. When he parked, I just sat there staring at the very tall building looming in the darkness. Thanks to some of the street lights I could see most of it and it was still the god awful brick from the eighties. The building was at least fourteen floors tall plus two underground levels. The whole place still made my skin crawl and Rey must've seen my reaction because he lifted an eyebrow at me.

"What?"

"I stayed here with Ford. When I was his Rose." I glanced at him and then back at the building. "He had a basement apartment."

"Lucky for you I have a fifth floor. Come on."

"I don't want to go in there." I looked at him. "I'd rather sleep in the car."

"Well I have to take the car back so make up your mind. You either stay here with me or I'll take you back to your brother's and you can stay alone."

I glared at him. "Why are you such a hard-ass?"

"Because you let your past interfere too much with your present. It's not healthy."

"My past is very relevant to my present. Why do you think Rob is trying to kill me?"

"I don't know. No one talks about it. I didn't even know you existed until two days before you got home."

"That's my brother's fault."

"Tell me what happened."

"I don't think you're ready to know what happened." I opened the door and got out, changing the subject completely. "This place is a hell hole."

"They've cleaned it up in the past year."

"I'm sure they haven't." I wrinkled my nose at the smell of garbage and vomit and looked around the pavement. "If I cut open my feet, will you doctor me?"

"So now you want to play doctor?"

I didn't look at him, just toed the blacktop. "If I step on anything, you better take me to the hospital and sit with me. I hate shots and I haven't had a tetanus booster in a while."

"I don't do hospitals." He walked around the car and held his arms open for me. "Come on. I'll carry you."

"Seriously?" He nodded. "Can I make out with your ear?"

His brows furrowed in amusement. "Not unless you want me to drop you."

"What? Can't focus?" I walked over and jumped up, wrapping my legs around his waist the same time he wrapped his arms around me. He adjusted me a little and then turned towards the apartment building like this was nothing. "Would you really drop me?"

"Try it and find out."

"I don't think I want to bust my head open."

"Then behave. You combined with this bag makes my load a little south of heavy."

"Are you trying to tell me I'm fat?"

"I'm trying to tell you to be grateful I'm carrying you. I could've taken a pair of socks out of my bag and made you walk."

"You owe me anyways."

"I owe you." He stopped and stared up at me. "How?"

"You held a gun to my head. You let my brother beat the crap out of me. You owe me."