Frappe Shot 21

Frappe Shot 21:

After the meeting with Sir Derby, I was surprised when Carmi called me on the phone. She told me that Cadi wants to see me tonight. She asked if we can meet up at Libis and have something to drink.

I agreed because Janna is not with me anymore and besides, I owe Cadi a day and I want to make it up with her.

As expected, Carmi left Cadi and I alone and we have spent the whole night together, yaking till dawn and catching up with each other’s lives.

I took her home by 2 am and I’m glad to see that genuine smile that I left on her face. But as I look on my rearview mirror, I was disgusted when I saw a pokerface staring back at me. He seemed to tell me that I’m out of my mind.

That’s when I remember a poem by Heinrich Heine entitled Dear Doppelganger.

“The night is quiet, the streets are calm,

In this house my beloved once lived:

She has long since left the town,

But the house still stands, here in the same place.

A man stands there also and looks to the sky,

And wrings his hands overwhelmed by pain:

Upon seeing his face, I am terrified--

The moon shows me my own form!

O you Doppelganer! You pale comrade!

Why do you ape the pain of my love

Which tormented me upon this spot

So many a night, so long ago?”

This is stupid! What am I doing with my life?

___

Another morning rose. I was empty-headed on our rehearsal in Blue Light. I asked Janna to come with me because the band wants her to criticize Kyle’s new song.

"Buddy! Ano ba! Kanina pa ah! Lutang ka na naman!” Janna complained when she noticed that I am getting out of tune.

"Kalma lang… Makikita mo, madadapa ‘yan at lulubog sa kumunoy. Pabayaan mo s’ya.” Kyle tapped Janna’s shoulders.

“Okay bros, yosi break muna. Woot badtrip.” Kyle said as he walks away with AC, Lenin and Aldrin.

Bigla akong binatukan ng malakas ni Janna.

“Aray. Pinatay mo na naman dalawang braincells ko.” I said with my usual unvarying tone.

“Sinisipat ko lang kung ga’no kalaki ang popoknatan ko d’yan sa gagong ulo mo!”

“I know.” That’s the only thing I used to say when trying to escape from an awkward situation.

Tumayo ako at kinapa kung may natira pang yosi sa bulsa ko.

“Don't shove me away...” Janna got the code.

“Grrrr Buddy! I understand na ayaw mong balewalain ang pinagsamahan n'yong dalawa ni Cadi pero ‘di mo na sya mahal ‘di ba? I could tell! So anong ginagawa mo? Pinapaasa mo s’ya! You know the drill! Cut it clean, do not prolong the agony, and make it a one swift blow!”

Jan knows why I am so disturbed and why I can’t focus on my craft.

“Kala mo hindi ko malalaman? Gago ka dahil sinakyan mo ang kagaguhan nung isa.” She’s referring to Carmi, the mastermind behind all the meetings Cadi and I had.