Chapter 4: Fool Me Once

Unedited

Chapter 4: Fool Me Once

Rider gripped my arm tight enough to leave a bruise; too bad that was my lowest concern at the moment. My inky hair escaping my hood and falling over one of my eyes as I'm hoisted hard to my feet. If it weren't for my thick clothes, my skin would be cut to ribbon from the thicket as he drags me closer and closer to the clearing until the smell of horse fills my nostrils.

I try and yank back and even bite Rider, but he's unmoving as he presses on. I want to kick and swear and throw him on his ass for even attempting to deliver me to this fat man, but that would create too much noise and give away our location anyway. I bare my teeth and try to hook my feet on anything to at least slow him up. "What the fuck are you doing?" I hiss under my breath as quietly as I can with enough venom to kill a man instantly.

Rider just gives me an emotionless expression and yanks me hard enough to make me almost lose my footing; almost.

I silently flick open my iron claws and attempt to swipe open his uniform and split his skin open, but the bastard actually snatches my wrist and drags me like I've been arrested. 

I may be the best assassin, but not the strongest physically.

As we approach the clearing and I know there isn't any turning back even if I could get away, I finally unleash the fury rolling around me like waves. "I always knew you were jealous of me, you just want me out of the way!" I remain to a growl and Rider actually looks annoyed and rolls his eyes. I open my mouth to insult him again when he hisses this time.

"Would you shut up? They had guards posted on all sides, find a way to escape when they aren't prepared, Mr. Assassin." He whisper yells at me and I just glare at him.

I could easily escape as he suggested, but that requires more effort and I'm not even being paid for it. Rider gets to walk away with his trousers filled with coin and I get handed over to a meaty king who thinks he's won a prize.

Now that hardly seems fair.

I'm not mad at Rider because even if he is betraying me, I can easily come back and squash him like the bug he is.

We finally approach the clearing we had just been standing in moments before and is now literally filled to the brim with guards and the king sitting at its center on a white horse that looks miserable from carrying his weight. I can already tell that horse and I would be best friends.

From the corner of my eyes, the regal brat aka the prince steers his horse and heads back to what I assume is the castle as I'm handed over.

The king beams and waves his arm for his guards to sweep in and take me from Rider who doesn't even look at me as I'm shackled in my weight in iron chains, all the way from my feet up to even an iron collar around my neck. I do my best to remain composed and not lash out as the guards place the cold metal against my bare skin and even rip down my hood.

The cold night air nips at my skin and my cheeks turn a red color, making me look more alive than I would like.

'Have to act nice, I am a guest after all.' I think to myself and only allow my eyes to roam around because if I look preoccupied, then I look like less of a threat.

"Thank you Rider, please come back to the castle for your reward." Rider shakes his head and crosses his arms, "I'm no idiot. Please have a footman deliver it to this spot in twenty or I'll spring my mate." He threatens though the king doesn't look fazed at all.

"Whatever you wish. I have what I need." The king commands for his horse and the troops to move out and I'm left following behind a guard holding my collar like a puppy walking alongside its master.