Prologue: Perfect Prince

MUST READ: I had about 8 chapters of this published before deciding I was not happy with where the story was headed. Here I present to you an edited version of the same prologue. I am still happy with the first few chapters and they just needed some fixing. Sorry for any confusion or inconvenience.

Some appearances of the characters may have been altered, but just follow the story and it'll make sense.

Thank you for reading, and please enjoy c:

Prologue: Perfect Prince

"Have you found his location yet?" The impatient king taps his fingers against the arm of his solid gold throne. The young guard standing in front of him gulps as he makes eye contact with one of the many skulls lining the throne's posts.

All of them were heads of people who have disappointed or betrayed the king in some way. The guard, having served the king for years, had alluded the king's punishment, but today he feels he may have run out of luck.

The king was not an understanding man.

Beads of sweat glide down the young man's back, he clears his throat before speaking as level and confident as he can muster.

"We have a list of locations we think he might be staying at, your majesty." The guard holds the list tightly in his fist as he remains stoic in front of his king but his stomach is a mess of nerves. The king's finger tapping stops, making the room feel as if it was frozen. Silence rings through the air; no one even dares to breathe too loudly.

The guard tries to remain calm as the time ticks away before the king says anything.

"You think? I don't need think. I need know." The king's face is already turning bright red with rage. The guard takes another gulp and tries again. "Sir, we have a plan to find his exact location, but it'll take a couple of days... He's not exactly the easiest person to track... Sir." His voice trails off, almost forgetting to tack on the title at the end of his statement. He knew the king was an impatient man regardless of what it was about or the difficulty of the task.

He just wanted it done.

With one more attempt, the guard tries again, his voice trembling, unlike the confidence he masked a moment ago. "If we can get him to do a job, we'd have his location, your majesty." The guard sinks to the floor and bows to the king as he continues on, wanting to show his king all the respect he can, or fear he'd find his head on the block.

A couple moments of silence pass through the room as the guard feels the cold sweat soaking his undershirt and he fears he may lose control of his bladder.

He doesn't know what's worse. A raging king or deathly silent one.

The sound of heavy boots approaching him sends his nerves on edge, the guard refuses to raise his head as he feels the king looming over him like a reaper, ready to take him. His fists tremble as he digs them into the crimson carpet; it reminds him too much of blood.

A deep chuckle vibrates the guard's chest and with disbelief, the guard looks up to his smiling king. "Your majesty?" The man says in confusion.

"My dear loyal guard," the king starts, not even knowing the man's name. "These things can't be helped, and I am nothing if not understanding." He said, making the guard sit up more from his bow. "Yes, you are, your majesty." The guard feels his heart lighten at knowing he was safe for today. This experience might even be the push the guard needs to ask his true love to marry him because you can die any day, so why wait?

The man was so grateful he crawled up to kiss the king's feet in respect. "Thank you, your majesty," he says as he gravels and kisses the tip of his shoes. The king stares down at the man at his feet; the smile he held was gone.

Why doesn't anyone ever let the king finish his sentence?

"It just so happens, that this time." The king waves his hands at the other guards in the room in a silent command. "I'm in understanding that you've disappointed me and I have no further use of you."

The guard feels strong hands grip his shoulders as he is hauled to his feet and dragged roughly from the room. "No! You can't do this to me! Your majesty! Please!" He cries and tears and snot streamed down the otherwise strong young man's face as he's dragged to the jail where he'll await execution.

The king slumps onto his throne and sighs, messaging the throb in his temples. "Idiots can't even bring me a teenage boy." He grumbles.

"Your majesty, I know where the boy is." A voice from heaven sounds beside the king. King Bardolf peeks out at the young mirror image of himself.

"How many times do I have to tell you to just call me dad?" The king says as he smiles at his pride and joy. The prince just stares at his father with nothing more than a bored expression that holds no emotion. Unlike everyone else, the prince held no fear towards his king.

"I'm here to do my job, so let me just tell you what you want to hear." the prince says, not adding on 'your majesty' at the end of his sentence. The king nods his head for him to continue. The cruel and darkness from earlier is gone from the room.

"You never disappoint me." The king states before resting his face against his fist, waiting for his son to tell him what would have taken his guards years to find; his son only needed a week.

Prince Xavier clears his throat and adjusts his glasses on his face, resembling a child about to give a book report. "I have reason to believe that he's residing in a futuristic mortal world when he's not out doing jobs. I've marked the places he is summoned to and where he travels back to, and the ratio of anywhere else to the mortal world is considerably low." Indifference ever present on the young prince's face and laced within his voice.

The king smiles, showing off three sets of gold teeth. "Excellent news my dear son. See to it that he's found and brought before me-" The king runs a finger thoughtfully through his beard for a moment "-unharmed."

"As you wish." Prince Xavier bows to the old king and dismisses himself from the room.

The king continues to smile a wicked smile. His plan was almost ready to begin and soon, no one would be safe from his rein.

"Just you wait, Edward Leon Charles. You'll be my key to power very soon." The king chuckles to himself while still sitting upon his throne of bones. No staff dared to enter the throne room out of fear of his evil laughter echoing through the corridors.

Prince Xavier rolls his eyes as he departs the room, hearing the king and his ridiculous statement. The prince finds the old man's plan to be foolish, but bringing this boy here will only be his own undoing. Once the king is out of the way, it'll be prince Xavier who will rise and be a far better king than King Bardolf. Not only to this shitty world but all of the others as well.

"Indeed father." He whispers to no one as he enters his chambers.

____________________________________

Make sure to leave me feedback on your interest!

Vote, comment, and just enjoy c:

Later Kiddos!