20. Joyful

Here's the next part and ya'll didn't have to wait as long :). Thank you all for reading/commenting/voting. Enjoy!

-----------------------

On Saturday, Nate wakes up nervous and excited. He is going to meet Seth and Danny at noon. It is their family date. Yes, he is his coach, they’ve spent time together, and Danny received the news well, but it still makes him nervous. It is their first outing as a family.

At noon, he is standing in front of Seth's door.  He takes a deep breath as he raises his hand to knock. A moment later, he hears some noise coming from inside.  Smiling, he waits for Seth to open the door. He greets Seth with a kiss on the cheek and greats Danny with a high five. They go to the park where Danny asks if they can all play soccer. They do of course. After they get hungry, Nate goes to grab the picnic basket he packed. Knowing Danny’s favorite dessert, he suggests they go to Braums, and there’s no telling Danny a second time. They pack everything up and take the long way back to the car. Seth is happy that Danny’s attitude didn’t change toward Nate after he told him they are dating. He was worried about it even though when he told Danny about Nate being his boyfriend he responded happily.

“Dad, what are you getting? Can I get a sundae and a cone?”

“I haven’t decided yet and you can only get one thing. I can’t have you eating too much sugar Danny.”

Nate can’t help the big grin spreading across his face from hearing both of them. He is happy with them and it feels like a family, the implication just hitting him startling him. Yes, he has known them for a few months, but like people say, it seems like he has known them all of their lives and yes, he can see himself with them for the rest of his life. When they get out of the car, Danny runs off to the ice cream parlor.

"Danny, don't run!" Seth yells trying to prevent an accident, but Danny doesn’t listen.

The next thing they hear is a loud cry. They both rush inside stopping by the entrance. Danny is on the floor and his eyes are watery. A worker is by his side.

"Don't cry. You are all right. What's your name?"

"Danny," he whispers.

"Okay,  Danny. Good thing nothing major happened, so you must be really excited to get ice cream?" She smiles at him.

"Yes! I love ice cream," he exclaims.

"You don't have to come in running. We always have a lot of ice cream here. Where are your parents?"

Danny turns around and when he spots them, he points in their direction. "There." It is until then that they start walking towards Danny.

"Hi, I'm Sara. You must be Danny’s dad. I was just telling Danny that there is no need to come running in here because we always have a lot of ice cream." She addresses Nate.

Nate just stares at her wondering, why would she think I'm Danny’s dad?

"No, I'm Danny’s dad. Thank you for making sure my son is all right," Seth interrupts.

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to assume things. It's just that he looks like him. The eyes and hair. Okay, I'm just going to stop talking. Sorry again." She rushes to explain.

"No, it's fine. I'm Seth and he is Nate."

"Okay, nice to meet you all.  What can I get for you all?" She asks as she walks back to the counter.

Later that night lying down in bed, Nate can’t stop thinking about what Sara said. It is weird, but he loves the assumption. They can really pass like a biological family. He wonders about Danny’s mother. Seth hasn’t opened up about it. He knows she’s not involved because Danny told the other kids he doesn’t have one. As far as he knows Seth has had Danny, since he was a baby and Seth is now twenty five years old. When he learned how young Seth was when he had Danny, it made him admire him--he was able to develop a career and take care of Danny at such a young age. He wonders when Seth will tell him more about Danny’s birth. With a smile on his face Nate drifts off to sleep. The day was great. He enjoyed it and he was relieved that Danny didn’t behave any differently.