Chapter 2 - Settling in

I woke up surprisingly early the next morning. Probably because it’s a new place; I take a while to actually settle into a new area and get into my proper sleeping pattern. Scarlet will sleep anywhere if she’s comfortable.  When I went to check on her in the morning she was fast asleep. I decided not to disturb her and made a start on some unpacking. I got the kitchen sorted first and got myself a little slice of toast to keep me going as I carried on unpacking mine and Scarlet’s belongings.

An hour had passed and I was starting to get a bit hungry. I could hear Scarlet shuffling about in her room so I decided to go into the kitchen and cook some breakfast.

“Mel? Melody, where are you?” I heard Scarlet ask whilst she was walking through the corridor.

“I’m in the kitchen.” I called back, dishing up the eggs, sausage, bacon and beans. The kitchen door soon opened and Scarlet took a deep breath, taking in the strong smell of bacon.

“Smells lush.” She said walking over to the plates.

I placed them onto the breakfast bar, “Thank you.” I replied grabbing a knife and fork and tucking into my well-deserved cooked breakfast, “Enjoy.” We both tucked into our breakfasts and ate silently for about five minutes. “Mmm, pretty scrumptious; if I do say so myself.” I said as I placed my plate into the sink.

“What time did you get up?” Scarlet asked, copying my actions.

“About five.”

“Five?” She exclaimed, “How do you get up so early after such an exhausting day yesterday?”

I shrugged, “Couldn’t sleep very well, you know what I’m like with new places.”

“I guess so.” She paused, “So… What are we going to do today?”

“Well,” I replied, “We will obviously have to get most of our things unpacked, which I have already made a start on…”

“Yeah… Carry on, you sound enthusiastic?”

“And… I’ve booked us tickets to go to The West End to watch Billy Elliot!” I watched Scarlet as she stood there in complete and utter shock. Her jaw dropped as she let out a little scream.

“Oh my god, I love you so much! You are honestly the best friend ever. It must have cost a fortune though?” She practically screamed in my ear as she jumped up and down, holding onto my shoulders.

“It doesn’t matter what it cost. We’re going and that’s all you need to know.” I winked at her.

“You know me too well.” She exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around me giving me a ‘bear hug’.

I laughed, “Well that’s why I’m your best friend.”

“Do you know where it is? How to get there? What time does it start? What should I wear? Oh I’m so excited.” She shot at me all at once.

“Whoa, steady with the questions. Yes. Sort of. 7pm and something nice.” I answered.

She laughed, “Sorry.” Scarlet began, “And what do you mean sort of?”

“Well I know where it is because I searched it online. I have a vague idea on how to get there but I’ll have to get some help off Vantas.”  

“Who’s Vantas?” She questioned.

“The satnav.” I laughed. Scarlet gave me a weird look, told me how strange I was and went to wash up the dishes. I decided to go and take a shower before I continued to unpack. I must have spent ages daydreaming in the shower because when I got out, changed and had dried my hair, I entered the living room to find that Scarlet had already unpacked most of the things out of the ‘Living Room box’. We were surprisingly very organised and had packed everything for particular rooms in the same box and labelled them so that we knew exactly what goes where. I finished off the living room while Scarlet refreshed herself and then we had a coffee break and discussed how our lives will be now that we have moved.