Chapter 1

**Matthias's POV**

"Matthias," Regan said seriously, "I'm pregnant..."

This would be the end of my life. My heart stopped. What was I supposed to say? What was I supposed to do? Regan turned to walk away, but I grabbed her arm. "What are we going to do?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I can't keep it..." Tears were now falling freely down her cheeks.

The meaning of her words hit me like a bullet in the chest. "You mean...? You can't." I insisted.

She looked at me and I could see she was angry. "Matthias, what do you expect me to do? What happened between us was a mistake. We were drunk, and you know it was a mistake! I'm sorry, but a baby is not what I need right now! It's not what either of us need right now! We are going to college at the beginning of the new year."

"Well," I tried to start, but couldn't think of anything else to do. "I don't know what you can do, but you can't get rid of it!" I was practically begging.

"Unless you can come up with something else, I'm having an abortion next week. I don't need my parents finding out about this. Ever." She said, turning to get out of my car and walking towards her own.

I quickly opened the door and stepped out, "Regan, wait! What if..." I found myself hesitating when she didn't stop walking. "What if I keep the baby?" She stopped, but didn't turn to face me. "What if you don't have to have anything to do with it?"

"Then I will think about it. Good night, Matthias." She walked the rest of the way to her car, got in and drove away leaving me in the middle of the Wal-Mart parking lot in the middle of the night.

I slumped back into the car, and pulled out my cellphone. I dialed my best friend's number and listened to it ring four times before he answered with a sleepy voice. "Hello?"

"Devin, can I come over? I need to talk to you."

"Sure, man. What's up? It's 1:30!"

"I know." I sighed, "I'll tell you when I get there."

**Devin's POV**

I sat up straight in bed when I heard Matt's car pull up. I didn't know what he had to talk about, but I knew it was important. Otherwise, he wouldn't have called me at this hour. I'm pretty sure he was crying, as well.

I met him at the door, so he was less likely to wake my mom. As soon as I opened the door I saw him standing there, tears in his eyes and shoulders slumped in defeat. When he saw me, he broke down and let his head fall onto my shoulder. I put my arm around his back, comforting him.

I lead him to the stairs and silently walked him up to my bedroom. When we got there he sat on the small couch beside the door. I closed the door and sat down beside him, leaving more space than I wanted.

I gave him time, we just sat there while he cried and I patted his back awkwardly because I wanted to do so much more. I couldn't, though. That's what I get for staying in the closet.

"Do you remember when me and Regan left the night of the party at Javier's?" He asked suddenly. My heart sank. I remembered that, because I had told myself to go get drunk enough to tell Matthias that I was gay. I was going to tell him that I was in love with him. Just when I thought I was ready, I went to find him and instead saw him walking out of the house holding the hand of the head cheerleader. I was crushed, but I didn't show it. I nodded and he continued, "She's pregnant, Devin!"

I didn't know what to say. I was totally speechless. Did this mean they were going to stay together? Were they keeping the baby? Regan was going to college at the start of the next semester at the state university. She wasn't going to want to keep a kid. "What are you going to do?" I asked cautiously, afraid of the answer.

"She wants to have an abortion next week. I asked her if she could just give me the baby and give up all legal rights and she said she would think about it. I don't want her to have an abortion. You know how I feel about that!" He said to me. I nodded. I knew enough about his history to know that.

"Are you sure you can keep a baby, Matt?" I asked him.

"No! No, I don't think I can. But, I can't let her get rid of it this way. I'll do whatever I have to do. I won't go to college, if that's what it takes. I'm gonna get an apartment and whatever else I need to do. I'm gonna be eighteen in two months and I have to move out of the foster home, anyway."

This would be possible. Difficult, but possible. "Can't you put the baby up for adoption?"

He seemed to think, but shook his head. "No. It's my responsibility and I'm gonna do right."

I nodded in understanding. I pulled him to me in a comforting hug. "I'm gonna help you through this." I vowed.