8. The Visit

"Don't you just look like a bundle of everything fuzzy and ugly this morning." Shaun snickered at me, as he took in my bed head and scruffy appearance.

"Meanie!" I exclaimed at him as I smacked him lightly across the shoulder.

"I'm just joking with you little sis, you look really cute today." He ruffled my already out-of-control hair.

"It's like I have no purpose in life anymore," I sulked, and looked down at the floor.

"Let me guess, you don't want to go to school today?" Shaun asked, as he quirked an eyebrow at me.

I looked up at him with a really cheesy grin, and when I realised that it wasn't working, I changed my expression to the cutest puppy dog face I could muster. When I saw Shaun's face soften, I knew I had won, I'd been practicing that expression for special occasions and this just seemed like one.

"Not the puppy dog eyes Lea! You always do this to me! I'm not going to fall for it this time."

"But Shauny-"

"No Lea not today, I refuse to fall for it. School is so boring when I don't see your ugly face little sis. Besides, today is going to be a good day, I can feel it."

I knew this wasn't working, he seemed so dead set on sending me to school, and it was time to pull out the big guns. My puppy dog face was my secret weapon against Shaun, but nothing worked better than a little sister crying.

Tears brimmed in my eyes, and I could see that Shaun was falling...into my trap that is! I could literally see his facial expression change and he was so close to giving in, I could sense it. Just one more push.

"Shaun, it’s just...” sobbing "I'm just not feeling too well" sob "and it would be so great if you could stay home and take care of me, big brother."

"No no, don't cry Lea, it's alright, you can stay home. Do you want me to make you something? What's wrong?"

Hah! I got him. This was too easy. Ah, I love my big brother. I couldn't help but crack a massive victory smile, which made Shaun crack one too. I was staring at him for a couple of seconds till I realised that it wasn't a smile, but a smirk.

Shit! He was tricking me! That asshole!

"You had nothing on me this time little Sis." his smirk widened even more, and he ruffled my hair, "I know you're not sick Lea, but because I'm feeling extra nice today, I'll let you stay. I have an exam in an hour, so I'll be back in 3 hours because I'll be 'sick' for the rest of the afternoon. Oooh and when I'm back we can order pizza and watch movies."

I squealed and jumped up to hug him and kiss him on the cheek. I love my brother more than anything!

"Thank you Shauny! I'm going back to sleep now!" I shouted as I ran upstairs to my room, "I'll see you in a bit!"

I heard him chuckle, and the shout back, "Yeah, yeah don't get too used to it Lea!"

...

I was ready to do this; I wanted this more than I've wanted something in a long time. 

I was ready for it.

I wanted it.

I needed it.

This is it.

One more hour of sleep.

I lifted the cover and scooted under it, letting the softness and the beauty of the moment engulf me.