Plan Twenty-Two: Hated Memories

As I marched into the corporate building, I was automatically attacked by Claire.

“Jeraud-me-boy! How about some lunch?! I bet you’re starving!” he questioned loudly as he pushed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me away past the elevators I had entered last time. Suddenly, Claire went quiet before looking around anxiously and leaning into my ear. “So, what did pretty boy want?” he whispered. It was almost comical, the way he was acting. But it did nothing to cheer up my bad mood.

“Nothing.” I growled, pushing him away from me. I didn’t want his face that close to mine, especially when I knew what he hid inside his mouth.

Claire raised a brow at me, wondering what was wrong but not questioning me any further. Instead, he shrugged it off and skipped ahead, holding open a double door for me to pass through, a smile ear-to-ear on his face. “Come right in, Jeraud! Today, everything is on me~” He sang with a menacing tone as I made my way through the double doors.

I didn’t know what to expect in a vampire’s lunchroom. Perhaps plain, white walls stained with crimson spatters or a pile of last night’s dinner rotting in a corner. Maybe even a vending machine full of blood bags, for crying out loud! But no. Instead, I had walked into a five star restaurant with extravagant wooden tables and chairs with velvet cushions. Gorgeous drapes covered the windows from ceiling to floor letting little light through, and waiters-with their noses stuck in the air-masterfully weaved their way between tables without dropping large plates of food. And all of it, the velvet chairs, the long drapes, even the waiter’s uniform, was stained in red.

As I ogled at all of the wealthy-ness, Claire herded me along while he followed a waiter to an empty table.

“We’ll take the usual, Edward. And make his well done.” Claire winked at the older waiter, tipping him a ten dollar bill. The waiter’s eyes popped out of its sockets as he stared at me as if I was the freak before he shakily turned around and walked off.

“What’s his problem?” I grumbled as I took my seat.

“Don’t worry about him.” Claire chuckled as he settled into his own chair. “The people here just aren’t used to someone like you.”

I widened my eyes and looked away before Claire could see my surprised face. If the waiter was disturbed by someone like me, then that meant that he was a vampire, too! I swiftly took a look around the congested restaurant. If I’m apparently a sight here, then that meant everyone in this place was…

I gulped as I looked back at Claire. My whole body was trembling. What if news goes around that I’m human and they attack me? What if I accidentally get hurt or something and I bleed? Would they all fight for me?! Would they…eat me?!!?

Claire chuckled at me, obviously seeing how terrified I was. “Don’t worry,” he stated, propping his elbow up in the tabled and leaning on to his fist. “They won’t hurt you, Jeraud-me-boy. They know who you are and why you’re here. But they’re also all too interested in their own lives to even care!” he laughed.

I gulped. They know who I am. And they also know that I know what they are… All of these things I thought I had kept well in secret, but I clearly hadn't. I gulped as sweat budded on my forehead. Quickly, I patted it off with my sleeve as I turned away from Claire’s menacing, intense gaze.

“Relax, Jeraud.” I heard him purr and I turned back to his smirk. “I’ve got you.” He promised with a nodded.

I’ve got you…

The words rang in my head, sending me back to a past I’ve tried to bury under hatred and loathing…

The sun beat down on us like how a boxer would beat his opponent, sending me to dive for shade as I sweated bullets. I had always liked camping, but I knew this year would turn out to be a drag.