Plan Four: Period One

I took a seat in my lab bench first period while the gorilla began chatting with Mrs. Hessefort, the teacher. Mrs. Hessefort was already smiling and laughing with the circus freak. It kind of bugged me how well she gets along with strangers. They just seemed to be attracted to her for whatever reason.

   "Who is she?" I heard a snobby voice behind me growl, obvious envy in its tone. I turned around for a quick peek of Melanie, the cheer leading captain. Her nose was scrunched up as she loudly chewed her gum.

   "I don't know. She must be new." Innocent Marissa, who was unlucky enough to have to be partners with dumb Melanie, informed her. She fiddled with her long, dark hair and nervously chewed on the inside of her cheek.

   "Ugh, look at the way she's talking to Mrs. Hessefort," Melanie sneered, automatically pointing out Rosalind's faults. "She must be a little teacher’s pet."

   I smiled grimly, loving the fact that other students won't like the circus freak simply because popular Melanie won't.

The bell rang for the start of class, but Mrs. Hessefort continued chatting with the mutant as if class hadn’t even started. It made my insides burn. I couldn’t believe that she got punctual Mrs. Hessefort to delay class. I couldn’t believe that I was actually a tad bit jealous. I was angry at myself for being jealous.

Soon, though not soon enough for my liking, Mrs. Hessefort clapped her hands and called for everyone’s attention.

“This is our new student. Please give her your full, undivided attention while she introduces herself.” Mrs. Hessefort commanded as she herself faced the mutant.

Everyone’s eyes rested on Rosalind as she beamed at the crowd of upperclassmen. “Hi, everyone!” she began, waving her arm high up in the air in greeting. Some of the freshman laughed while others waved. I just glared at her, anger taking over my insides. “My name is,” she turned around and wrote on the chalk board behind her. “Rosalind.” She finished, pointing out her name. “But you can call me Rose. I don’t mind at all. I was an orphan,” my throat clenched up and my heart began to race. Was she going to tell everyone that my family adopted her?! “But I was adopted and now I live here. I am…”

I sighed in relief as that crisis was averted, her introduction of herself fading in the back ground until someone spurt out “You’re only thirteen and you’re in high school?!” I looked up to find Bryann, his jaw flat out on the desk. Other teens began to whisper and gossip to each other, but they all looked impressed. Even Mrs. Hessefort did. I was disappointed that Melanie had stayed quiet so far throughout the mutant’s introduction.

“Well, yeah… I skipped the second grade…” Rosalind explained.

“So that must mean you’re really smart, right?!” Bryann added, his voice never seeming to lose astonishment.

“Not necessarily!” she denied with an embarrassed smile, scratching her right temple.

“Well, it certainly is remarkable. You can’t deny that, Rose.” Mrs. Hessefort encouraged.

ROSALIND smiled sheepishly at her, “I guess… Yeah…”

“You are cool, Rose.” A student added.

“And pretty cute!” someone else called out in an unmistakable voice. I turned viciously at Bryann, my guts burning up at the statement. But all the other students laughed.