Chapter thirty eight - The Holmes family.

Mary puts a pen drive on the table by Johns chair. I can't see it fully, but i can see some writing on it. I feel utterly helpless this time. I didn't want to get involved. Whoever Mary was, she still was my friend.

"'A.G.R.A.’ What’s that?" Sherlock asks. Mary looks from him, me then John, and clears her throat.

"Er ... my initials." She replies, John grimaces. "Everything about who I was is on there." She turns to face John, "If you love me, don’t read it in front of me."

"Why?" John questions.

Mary looks like she was holding back tears, "Because you won’t love me when you’ve finished...And I don’t want to see that happen." She looks down. With a loud sigh John snatches the drive from the table, looks briefly at me before shoving it into his pocket. Mary looks at Sherlock, "How much d’you know already?"

"By your skill set, you are – or were – an intelligence agent. Your accent is currently English but I suspect you are not. You’re on the run from something; you’ve used your skills to disappear; Magnussen knows your secret, which is why you were going to kill him; and I assume you befriended Janine in order to get close to him."

"Oh – you can talk!" Mary says. I smile a little, and so does Sherlock.

"Ohhh. Look at you two." John points his index fingers at them, "You should have got married."

Mary looks at John, "The stuff Magnussen has on me, I would go to prison for the rest of my life."

"So you were just gonna kill him?"

"People like Magnussen should be killed. That’s why there are people like me."

"Perfect! So that’s what you were? An assassin?" He looks towards Sherlock, "How could I not see that?"

"You did see that." Mary pauses, "...and you married me. Because Sherlock's right. It’s what you like."

"So ... Mary ..." Sherlock grimaces, "Any documents that Magnussen has concerning yourself, you want-" He grimaces again, as if he was in pain, "extracted and returned."

"Are you okay?" I asked. He nodded and looks at Mary. She speaks up again.

"Why would you help me?"

"Because ... you saved my life."

"Sor-sorry, what?" John seems confused. Sherlock looks at Mary.

"When I walked on you and Magnussen-" He takes a couple of noisy, strained breaths, bracing his hands on the arms of his chair, "you had a problem. More specifically, you had a witness. The solution, of course, was simple. Kill us both and leave. However, sentiment got the better of you. One precisely-calculated shot to incapacitate me. In the hope that it would bide you more time to negotiate my silence. Of course, you couldn’t shoot Magnussen." He looks at John, "On the night that both of us broke into the building, your own husband would become a suspect, so you calculated that Magnussen would use the fact of your involvement rather than sharing the information with the police ... as is his M.O. And then you left the way you came. Have I missed anything?"

"How did she save your life?" I inquired. Sherlock looked at me.

"She phoned the ambulance."

"I phoned the ambulance." John stated.

"She phoned first."

"You didn’t find me for another five minutes. Left to you, I would have died. The average arrival time for a London ambulance is-" Sherlock lifted his left hand and looks at his watch as the clatter of feet can be heard on the stairs. Two paramedics run in the room.