Chapter 13

"Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never." 

-Charles Caleb Colton

Marcie was a very sophisticated lady, if she did say so herself. She attended school until she was sixteen and was auctioned off to Jacques' father. Hybrids of any kind have a hard time staying with their families. A hybrid's rights are few and easily ignored. Unless your social standing is high, you are considered expendable, a nuisance upon society. Unless the family of the hybrid can pay more than what the new owner bid, the hybrid is considered their property and can be used however needed. In short; they were treated more like animals and property than humans. 

Marcie reclined back in her booth, drumming her fingers on the pewter tabletop. She closed her eyes and sighed, water from her drying ponytail dripping down her back. The boys were taking an awful long time in the restroom. Her ears pricked as she heard the soft sound of approaching footsteps. She cracked one eye, expecting to see the boys hand in hand, coming to chatter about their new-found feelings with jolly looks on their faces. Instead, she was met with the sight of a short, lithe waitress. The girl had a pen and pad of paper, looking expectantly at Marcie. "What?" Marcie asked, scowling. 

"Are you going to order, or what? We don't rent out space to the homeless. It's order, or leave." The girl bit out in a voice an octave lower than what Marcie expected. Marcie's eyes shifted to the men's bathroom door, wishing that Theo and Jacques would suddenly waltz out. 

"Well, excuse me. I'm just waiting for my friends. Plus, it's pouring rain out there. If you kick me out, that's like a death sentence," Marcie retorted sourly. 

"Just hurry and get out of here. Or order. Your choice." The waitress cocked her hip to the side, frowning. Marcie rolled her eyes, digging in her pocket and slapping down five dollars.

"Gimme a hot chocolate, I guess." The girl nodded, taking the money and sauntering off triumphantly. Marcie went back to relaxing, still fuming over the sassy waitress. 

A firm hand gripped her shoulder from behind, making her jump. "Come outside with me, and nothing will happen to you." A firm voice commanded. Marcie recognized it right away, her hand gripping the table in a death grip. She did as she was told, tucking her tail between her legs. The man led her outside, under the awning. Her eyes narrowed as he turned her to face him.

"Mr. Monroe," she growled, baring her teeth like a canine would. The man smirked at her fearless demeanor, but the tail tucked between her legs gave away her true feelings. 

"Call me Bernard." Mr. Monroe said as he circled Marcie like a predator circling prey. "You were clever, Marcie. Running away with my son like that. But, I don't care what happens to you after this little interrogation. I just want to know where my son is." He cocked his head to the side, a thoughtful look on his face. "Are you going to tell me? I'll let you go unscathed if you do." 

A rebellious look flashed in Marcie's eyes. "I don't think so, old man." She growled, just as the diner's door opened and the bell chimed. Jacques and Theo waltzed out, all smiles and laughs. Marcie held back the inner urge to scream. "You idiots. Get your asses back in that diner!" she yelled, making the two boys blanch. 

"Dad?!" Jacques squeaked, while Theo moved instinctively behind him. 

"Ah, there you are." Bernard smirked, taking a step forward towards Jacques. Marcie growled again, ears and tails raised out of instinct. He waved her off, paying close attention to his son. "I see you've taken on one of those mongrels." He stared pointedly at Theo who had his ears laid back, and was peering over Jacques' shoulder in fear. 

"He's not a piece of property. He's my friend, and my boyfriend," Jacques retorted, grabbing Theo's hand and pulling him up to his side. His father's frown was evident as his hands worked at adjusting his tie. But if faded into a malicious grin in time. 

"My, my. That just won't do. How will you extend the Monroe family bloodline if you're with that?" Bernard pointed at Theo. "Not only is it a male, but it's a hybrid." He spat the words like they were poison. 

"The last thing I want to do is extend your family bloodline," Jacques fired back. "and you know good and well aunt Sherry is a dog-hybrid. You're just too narrow minded to accept it!" 

Bernard stiffened, eyes flaring with a fiery rage. "Don't you dare bring up that woman! She is not my sister. She is not your aunt. She's nothing." Bernard took a deep breath. "Jacques Oliver Monroe, I am taking you home if you like it or not. I'm throwing these insolent mutts in the pound, and finding you a suitable woman! I won't hesitate to--"

"I want to see mom." Jacques cut his father's rant off. Marcie looked at him wide eyed, looking between Jacques and Bernard frantically. 

"Jacques, you know your mother left--" 

"Take me to see Mom," Jacques commanded. 

Bernard pressed his mouth into a thin line, mulling his son's request over in his head. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it a second later. He gave a grave nod, gave sweeping over the three tattered teens. "Is that what it will take to get you to come with me?" he finally asked.

"I get to bring them, too." Jacques nodded. 

His father took a deep breath, looking like he was about to protest. Jacques gave him a hate filled glare, making the man nod again. "If that's what it takes." He sighed, motioning to his car on the other side of the street. 

Marcie came up to Jacques, a distressed look on her face. "Is this a good idea, Jacques?"

"Yes." He gave her a serious look. "Mom will know what to do."