Chapter 3

"He who has health has hope, and he who has hope has everything." 

-Arabian Proverb  

James pulled mercilessly at Theo's leash, collar chafing at his old wounds. Theo looked longingly back at the pound. For once in his life he didn't want to leave. James opened the back door to his car, pushing Theo into the backseat. He slammed the door, climbing into the driver's side. Theo dug his nails into the cloth seat, watching as the man narrowed his eyes in concentration as he fumbled to put the key in the ignition. Theo thought it wise to put on a seat belt, only to find there wasn't one.

 Once James successfully started the car and pulled onto the street, he stepped on the gas, tires squealing down the road. He drove recklessly, thoroughly convincing Theo that James was drunk off his top. The dangerous driving wasn't helping the cat-boy with his nerves or car sickness. In minutes Theo was nauseous. It felt like his stomach was doing flip-flops and he was shaking uncontrollably. "Urp." He made a sickly noise, dry heaving.

 James looked back at the sick boy, glowering. "Throw up in my car and I'll kill you." He threatened as he took a sharp right turn which tossed Theo roughly into the side of the car.

 "You just might kill us both if you keep driving like this," Theo muttered, turning his attention to the seats. There were dark stains dotting the light gray cloth. It was obvious these seats had seen a lot worse than vomit.

 Theo pulled his legs to himself, burying his head in his hands. He tried to take his mind off the constant swerving and jarring stops. It was a wonder how he hadn't been pulled over yet. Hell, it was a wonder how he got a license in the first place.  

 The car took one last bone-rattling stop, leaving Theo reeling. James got out of the car, coming around to Theo's side. The boy didn't open his eyes until James withdrew pulling on his leash. When Theo didn't budge, the man grew angry. He grabbed Theo by the back of the neck, yanking him from the car. Theo landed on the pavement with a thud, yelping. He had no time to recover before James was yanking his leash insistently, choking him. "Get your ass up, we got shit to do." James gave one more yank to his leash. Theo gave a choked gurgle in response as he promptly threw up on James' shoes. 

 "SON OF A--" James released Theo's leash in disgust, stumbling back from the sick boy. "You're gonna get it when we get home. You're gonna get it good, you disgusting little creature," James promised angrily as he climbed into his car to clean his shoes with napkins. 

 "I've done it now." Theo grumbled to himself as he got to his feet, but he couldn't help but smiling. Just seeing the man's look of horror was enough to make up for the beating he was sure to receive. He studied the palm of his hands while he waited for James, grimacing at the bruised and broken skin. His knees felt like they took the same damage from the fall. He fisted his hands, focusing on the stinging pain of his wounds. 'I need to wash these out if I don't want them to get infected,' he thought as his palms slowly went numb. Like James would let him after that little incident. 

 While Theo was thinking, James had finished cleaning his shoes, and returned to lead Theo away. Theo was pulled violently to the right as James led him down the sidewalk. It was growing dark, the sun slowly sinking behind the buildings. It gave the city a ominous feel. People strolled passed them, some even sparing him a sad look. But most looked worse than James, and were focused on walking menacingly.

 Street lights kicked on, and Theo started to wonder what business James had to conduct at this time of the day. He cut down an alley, pausing by a dumpster. He tied Theo's leash to the chain that kept the dumpster to the wall. "Stay here. Shut up," James ordered. 

 'A chain? Really? Who would steal a dumpster?' Theo thought, examining the rusty chain. 'Probably that guy...' He thought grimly as he watched a very broad man in a leather jacket walk up to James. They exchanged a greeting, withdrawing into a dark corner. Theo watched their silhouettes as they bantered back and forth, flicking his tail in boredom. He jumped in the air as the larger man raised his voice. James was running towards him, tucking something in his pants pocket. He untied Theo, shouting "Run, cat!" as he ran in the direction of the car. 

 Theo thought about running in the opposite direction, but James had hold of his leash again, nearly breaking his neck. James threw open the car door, hurling himself in. Theo was close behind, resuming his place in the backseat. He looked wide-eyed back out the window, only to see the man chasing after them with something in his hand. By this time he forgot all about his hatred for James and his driving and screeched, "DRIVE, MAN. DRIVE!" 

 James didn't have to be told twice as he sped down the road and out of sight. He gripped the steering wheel until his knuckles went white, breathing hard. "Tell anyone about this, and--" he began.

 "You'll kill me, I know." Theo finished, sighing. 

 "You're starting to catch on." James returned his attention to the road, although he drove like he wasn't paying attention anyways. 

 About thirty minutes later, James had pulled into a driveway. The house was a double-wide, and not very good looking. It was in need of a paint job and maybe some new siding. The chipped blue shutters were nearly falling off. Blue shutters. This man obviously had no taste, and possibly no lawnmower. You nearly had to wade through the grass just to get to the front door. 

 James led Theo inside, automatically laying down some ground rules. "You're sleeping on the floor, unless I want you in my bed or on the couch. You'll eat when I give you food, and you'll fix all my meals. You will refer to me as 'Sir' or 'Master.' I don't want any back talk. Any misbehaving, like vomiting on my shoes," James grimaced, "will be rewarded with a punishment of my choice." He wandered over to the couch, sitting down. "Tonight, since I'm tired, you'll be free of your punishment until the morning. By then I will have been able to mull over all the possible things I can do." He smiled deviously, departing to his bedroom. But not before he pointed out Theo's place on the floor. 

 Theo went over to the corner which was his designated sleeping space. There was a threadbare blanket and a small throw pillow. It was right by a window, and a small, cold breeze whistled through the crack in the it. He took the time to observe the rest of the room.

 The couch was ripped and torn and a very unattractive yellow color. The room was painted a brown color, and the curtains on the windows were off-white and tattered. The kitchen was directly next to the 'living room' and was separated by a blanket that was hanging across the doorway.

 Upon further inspection, Theo found the kitchen wasn't in too bad of shape. It was at least somewhat clean. The food in the fridge reeked, and he doubted how he was going to fix breakfast with what the man had in stock. He shuddered, thinking of the lashing he was going to receive in the morning. Or worse. 

 He quickly returned to his sleeping spot, curling under the small blanket. The carpet underneath him itched and chafed at his skin, but he managed to ignore it and drift into an uneasy sleep. His dreams were filled with beatings and men chasing him with guns. He writhed and whined in his sleep, breaking out into a sweat.

 But for a moment, just a moment, he was relieved of the gruesome scenes. He remembered seeing a pretty face with clear blue eyes and blonde hair, giving him a warm smile.