Four

The room where I woke was dark, large and very empty. An unused warehouse. A coat was strewn over my wet body, as if it would keep me warm. I shivered. Daddy probably didn't know what else to do.

I noticed a girl unconscious on the ground five feet away. My stomach growled and complained, and I wonder how long I was out. I walked over to the limp body, wondering where Daddy went, but I wasn't worried. It wasn't the first time he left me alone, and whenever he did, I knew he'd always come back. He promised.

I turned the girl over onto her back, and leaned in toward her jugular when I realized who she was. It was the little girl from before, from the park. What was her name? Malissa? No, Marissa. Yeah, that was it. Marissa. That's a pretty name. We could have been friends too.

What was I thinking? No, we could never have been friends, I was a vampire and she was a human girl. She was my dinner. It would never work. Vampires prey on humans and humans fear vampires. They couldn't be friends.

The little girl shifted a little, I jumped back into a defensive crouch, a whimper escaped her as she put her hand to her head. Fresh tears ran down her cheeks. I crawled back toward her, how would she hurt me after all? I might only be around three months old, but she was no match for me. Her eyes opened slightly, but I doubted she could see anything.

"Who's there?" she whimpered, hearing me shift next to her.

"Shh," I hushed while wiping away her warm tears "Don't be afraid."

"Where am I?" She started to sit up, I could see blood in her hair. Sweet warm blood dripping from a wound she probably got from Daddy. She felt the wound and let out a shriek. "What happened?" She was shaking now, her breathing short and shallow.

"It's okay, Marissa, everything is going to be fine." I tried to sooth her. It's a lot easier to drink from someone when they aren't screaming or struggling.

"How do you know my name?" She looked so innocent. So naive. 

"Shh," I hushed again, moving her hair away from her neck. It's my favorite place to drink from. "The pain will be gone in just a minute."

"I want my Mommy," she said, begining to cry again. But I knew she'd never see her mommy again. If this girl was here, than I could only imagine what had happened to her mom. I jerked forward, and dug my teeth into her skin, knowing it would put her out of her misery faster than If I didn't drink her. As I filled my stomach with her warmth, I wondered about if I could have solved this problem another way. I could have taken her somewhere else, got her help, not killed her like I was doing right then. But then I imagined the look on Daddy's face if he had found out, and how he would tsk and shake his head, and say, "That's not how we do things, Cutie Pie. You know there are rules." And then he'd kill her himself. At least this way I get dinner.

I finished her within a minute. The same way I finish off a slurpee, sucking the straw until I get nothing but air. Her warm blood lingered on my tongue. It made the world seem less cold. Like everything was okay, just for a moment, and then the feeling was gone.

My stomach growled again. What was Daddy thinking getting me a little kid? Just because I'm younger than him doesn't mean it takes less to fill me up. Although, it was true, they are sweeter than grown ups.

I went out into the cold night air of a still very much awake city. Just a little girl who is lost. Looking for her mommy. Maybe I can get someone to buy me a sandwich before dragging them to some deserted area for dessert.