Chapter 10

A/N: Why yes, you are getting this a day early.  I have a friend coming in from out of town, and I'll be engaging in an epic D&D game tomorrow, so you get your update today.  Yes, I'm well aware my nerd is showing.  I'm okay with that. 

So big thank you to all of you for showing this story some love, and a huge thanks to my awesome beta, Heather, for fixing my errors.  Speaking of my beta, she's out of town, so next week's chapter might be a bit late. Just an FYI.

.........................................................

It was the week of finals, and we were all feeling the stress. Alice and I were up late most nights, studying for our tests, and I felt like my brain was going to explode. Tossing my book onto the floor next to my bed, I rolled over and let out a loud sigh. I was tired of studying, I was tired of taking tests, and I was just plain tired.

"I need a break," I complained to Alice who was busy studying for some math exam. "I'm going to head off campus for an hour or so. Want to come with?"

She shook her head, focusing only on her books and the end of the highlighter she was chewing on. Getting up, I slipped my feet into my shoes, threw on my coat, and grabbed my keys and wallet. I didn't care where I was going; I just needed away from the confines of my room, or the cubicle I'd confiscated at the library. I decided to make a pit stop first and see if Edward wanted to go with me. I jogged up the stairs to his floor and knocked on the door loudly so I could be heard over the loud sounds of Papa Roach.

"Hey," Edward answered as he opened the door. He looked just as bad as the rest of us. He had circles under his eyes, a wrinkled shirt, and his glorious hair was everywhere.

"I've gotta get out of here for an hour or two. Want to go with me?" I asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"God, yes!"

He grabbed his jacket from the back of his chair and shoved his wallet and keys into his back pocket before closing the door behind him. He sent Jasper a quick text letting him know he was out with me, and then we made our way to the parking lot. I was glad I'd grabbed my coat. The temperature wasn't that cold, but it was windy as hell, and I was constantly shoving my hair out of my face. We made it to my car in no time, and I unlocked the doors and jumped in behind the wheel.

"Where are we going?" he asked, rubbing his hands together to warm them up a bit.

"No idea," I told him as I started the engine.

"What are you in the mood for?" he asked me as I pulled out of my parking spot.

"Pie. I don't care what kind. I just want some pie and a large glass of milk."

"Then we should go to Pieon Freemont Avenue," he told me and gave me directions on how to get there.

Twenty some minutes later, I was seated in a booth across from Edward with a huge slice of pumpkin pie topped with ice cream in front of me and a large glass of ice cold milk next to it. Edward had ordered a Southern pecan pie, and it looked just as good as mine.

I cut my pie into two halves and offered half of it to Edward in exchange for half of his. He contemplated for a few seconds, eyeing my plate and his own, before finally agreeing.

"If it was anyone else, I wouldn't have done this. The pecan pie is freaking amazing, so consider yourself lucky," he said with a grin as he pointed his fork at me.

"Well, thank you, kind sir, for agreeing to share. I wanted a slice of both, but there was no way I'd be able to eat two large slices of pie. Hell, I'm probably going to gain ten pounds just eating these small slices."