Chapter 4

Jack awoke with a start.  He took a deep breath and sat up. It was the middle of the night, the only light was the moon coming from the bedroom window. He looked to the left side of the bed to see Joseph and Julia fast asleep.  He let out a sigh of relief. That dream had been too real.

Slowly, as to not wake the children, Jack stood up and tiptoed out of the room. In the main room, Lolbit sat at the dining table with a book in paw. Her ghastly white pupils moved in her sockets to look at Jack. She set down the book and motioned to the chair next to her. The real mystery was how she was able to read in the dark. The lord decided not to question it and sat down next to the fox. Lolbit's glowing pupils looked intently at Jack,  as if urging him to tell her about his problem.

"Well..." Jack began in a whisper, "it was right to let her go, ya?" The silhouette of Lolbit's ear flicked. "I just don't want to lose her. She's on a mission with a serial killer, she's going back to her homeland... it's just hard to wrap my head around. There's always the possibility that she'll never come back. That's a lot to deal with." Lolbit nodded and stood up. She motioned with her paw that she was still listening as she looked through the cabinets.

"I've seen how losing a spouse can affect somebody. You saw it yourself, what happened to Mark, " Jack continued, " I don't want to see that happen. I know, I should look on the bright side, but it's my wife." There was the sound of a ladle scraping against wood and then the sound of water falling into a container.

"I know she can handle herself, I love that about her, but I can't shake this feeling. I know something isn't right." Lolbit returned to the table and set a wooden cup in front of Jack. "Thanks." He gulped down the water and set the cup back down. "Are you psychic?" Lolbit shrugged and gestured back to the bedroom.

"Sleep is for the weak!" Jack joked, standing up and following the steward's orders. "By the way, thanks for staying. I see why Mark keeps you around." The fox giggled and went back to reading her book in the dark.