Card Tower

Georgia's charming gray eyes sparkled with curiosity as her bigger sister set down the black pen she held.  Pointing at the dot she marked on the globe, Sydney gestured for Georgia to listen to her.

"This," she whispered to Georgia, "Is where we are right now."

The small spot on the globe stood in the Eastern side of Los Angeles, and was fine enough to not get noticed by their ever nagging mother when they return the globe to the shelves next to the sofa. Nodding intently, Georgia pointed at the dot and scrunched her eyebrows.

"So Syd, are you saying I'm that small?"

"No. I'm saying the subdivision is that small."

"Do you mean that if I die, it wouldn't really matter?"

"Of course it will matter. It just won't really change the shape of the world much."

Georgia heard her big sister sigh and look at the time.

"Georgia, it's almost your bedtime, why don't you sleep already? Mama is not coming back until later anyway."

"But-"

"But what?"

"But I'm scared."

Sydney sighed again and took the hand of the innocent little girl she had known for seven years, since she was born. If she grows up, what will happen? Will she still be that curious sweetheart with a knack for candies and chocolate milk?

Sydney's humming echoed through the hall as she walked Georgia to her room, her heels tip-tapping the wooden floor. Georgia turned the door knob and jumped onto her soft pink bed.

"Can you stay here until I fall asleep?"

Sydney nodded as she sat on the pastel pink sofa chair in the corner of Georgia's room. She started singing a lullabye that Georgia knew perfectly well, as the spanish tune was taught to them by their mother ever since.

"A la nanita nana, nanita, ella nanita ella... Mi nina tiene sueño buendito sea, buendito sea..."

The lyrics flowed smoothly out of her throat and rolled out her tongue as Georgia listened to her sister's beautiful, mellow voice.

"I wish I was as perfect as you."

Sydney stopped singing at the sudden remark of Georgia, and shook her head softly and calmly, heaving a sigh and walking up to her sister's bed. She knelt down and combed Georgia's long brown hair.

"Nobody's perfect, Georgia."

"But you seem like it! You're very pretty, and you're nice, and you're good at sports, and you're an honor student, and you have such a lovely voice! To add to it, you're very popular at your high school. I wish I was you."

"Don't. Being me has a big downside to it you know."

"What?"

Sydney's eyes turned sad, yet she laughed softly and touched Georgia's nose.

"I have to take care of my adorable little sister."

Georgia giggled at this and soon after yawned. It wasn't hard to make her sleep, obvious as after a few moments Sydney checked up on her as she realized her little sister was now oblivious to her surroundings.

Sydney stretched and walked out of the room, careful not to wake Georgia.

"If only you knew."

A few days passed after that, and Georgia remained her cheerful self. Yet unbeknownst to her...