Chapter XXXVIII: Babies and Baby-showers

Master Diego

"There, my love," Master stood on the balcony, crossing his arms over his stomach, "all is done. All is ready."

His eyes swept across the impregnable Fort that he held in his power, and over its occupants, who were fully trained at long last, and ready for the revenge they were destined to carry out.

The plans were set. The time was ripe.

Mistress looked up at him with undisguised love shining in her eyes. "I knew you could do it, sweetheart," she whispered jubilantly, "I knew you would do anything for me. Thank you."

He shook his head, putting an arm around her shoulders. "Nonsense," he sighed, "you have suffered long and hard for years. You have lived a terrible life you did not deserve. However, all that is about to change within a few days." A determined look entered his eyes, as he held her tighter against him, recalling the years of hardship they had gone through together.

All for this moment.

Her eyes, tired and aged beyond her years, filled with unshed tears. "I love you," she mumbled into his shirt.

She hated it that she had to utter these beautiful words only in secret. After next week, however, no more. They would never have to live in their trapped lives ever again. They would never have to live apart from each other, or hide their love ever again, regardless of what anyone else thought of it.

She knew it was wrong to love him. That it was wrong to have betrayed those around her like this. For the life of her, however, she could not care. She felt like a teenager once more, wildly and happily in love in the arms of her secret amour, her beloved. This time, though, she was in love with a man who would treat her the way she should be treated. Who would give her, and her only, his full attention and love for all eternity.

Not like the fool she had to contend with before him.

At the end of the next seven days or so, she and her beloved would attain greater power than they already possessed. Their story of strength, resilience and love would be the greatest ever told.

He tilted her head up to kiss her now, long, deep and hard. She slipped her arms around his neck, weaving his soft, slightly graying locks through her fingers, feeling hot, scorching desire rise within her as his hands slid down her form slowly, deliberately. It surprised her how he could evoke such a strong response in her even after all these years.

"I love you too," he smiled widely against her lips to catch his breath, "and soon enough, the whole world shall know it. The whole world will be ours. The time is ripe."

Indeed it was.

***

The Lady Knight

"You look like you are attending your own funeral, Your Royal Highness," Captain Percival observed Nick in amusement, as we approached Anchorvale at a steady canter.

"I might as well," Nick muttered, looking on at the skyline of Anchorvale, "another duchy, another group of Potentials, another Potential Quest Ball. One does wonder how I have gone through this same routine nine times already, and still managed to live."

The rest of the Captains burst out laughing, while I managed a wry smile. "Nine completed, three more to go," I rolled my eyes, speaking to him for the first time in days since we left Roche, "look at the bright side. You are very close to the end. Imagine, there will be no more freezing rides about the country."