Chapter VII: Potentials and Puzzles

The Lady Knight

"We have arrived on the outskirts of Louvre."

My voice sounded rather loud in the peaceful silence of the morning, as I pointed to Compassvale, the capital earldom of Louvre where the Duke of Louvre and his family lived. It was set against the backdrop of a brilliant sunrise, looking lovely in all its majestic glory.

The Captains sighed in relief. I turned to the Prince, who was riding beside me, deeply occupied by his thoughts.

"Your Royal Highness, if I am not mistaken, the people of Compassvale would have planned a celebratory welcome in your honour. It is one of the traditions of the Potential Quest. As such, I feel that it would be more appropriate if you ride in front of us all and greet them," I requested coldly, speaking to him for the first time that morning.

Needless to say, I was still very angry with him.

He nodded, distant, and spurred Noir on ahead of us. The Captains and I arranged ourselves in order, with Captain Everard and I riding directly behind the Prince, and the others in a row behind us.

Just as I had predicted, loud, gleeful cheers rose up as soon as we rode into the cobbled streets of Compassvale. The people had lined up along the sides of the streets, holding up banners painted with the Crown Prince's badge - a white falcon - and Monrique's national flag, with huge beams on their faces as they applauded.

"Welcome, Your Royal Highness!"

"Crown Prince Nicholas Seymour!"

"Long live, Your Royal Highness!"

Screams and cheers of such a nature saturated the air, as the Prince beamed at them all with genuine happiness, waving. The Royal House of Seymour was well beloved in Monrique, and there was no doubt that the people simply adored their Crown Prince.

Why else would a town wake up at daybreak to go through such trouble?

Although my ears were threatening to burst with all the noise that bombarded them, the sheer happiness that oversaturated the atmosphere was infectious, and even I could not help but smile a little.

We continued to ride amidst the crowd straight towards the Duke of Louvre's abode, the Louvre Manor. He and his family were waiting at the gates.

The Duke and Duchess were easy to identify. Each wore a slim coronet on their heads, a gold one for the Duke and a silver one for the Duchess. They were attired in simple, formal wear, holding a platter covered in white silk.

My eyes widened. The platter was so large that it required both the Duke and the Duchess to hold it upright, and it almost covered their faces.

I was well aware that the platter held the customary gifts that a Crown Prince was welcomed with before he entered the home of a Potential, and yet, I was taken aback by how much the duo were willing to gift him to honour him.

Only the very best to welcome the Crown Prince, I thought wryly.

Shaking my head at that thought, my gaze shifted to the tall, willowy young woman, who stood next to the couple, holding her younger sister's hand. Her lips pulled up in a huge beam, as she watched us approach her.

I stared at her, mildly surprised. Lisa.

She was dressed in a simple, sky blue gown. With waist length of pure silvery blond curls that fanned her face, she was the very picture of simple beauty. Her emerald eyes twinkled in joy, as she and her sister waved at me.

Finally. It had been too long.

"Welcome to Louvre, Your Royal Highness," the Duke of Louvre knelt before him, as his wife and his daughters sank into deep curtsies, "we are honoured indeed to be graced with your presence in our humble home."